Oct 11, 2012, 10:38 AM EST
Stalberg, 26, had a breakthrough season in Chicago in 2011-12, posting career-highs in games played (79), goals (22), assists (21) and points (43).
He’d long been rumored to be returning to Frolunda — the team he starred for at the junior level before leaving for the University of Vermont in 2006 — and by cementing the deal, he makes the Gothenburg-based club a force to be reckoned with.
Despite the SEL’s controversy surrounding locked-out NHLers (the league originally banned such contracts, only to have that ruling overturned) Frolunda is one of only two teams have taken advantage.
Modo became the first when it signed St. Louis’ Alex Steen. Frolunda is the second and clearly the most aggressive, having already secured the services of Colorado’s Matt Duchene and reportedly being close to inking New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
As such, Frolunda boasts one of Sweden’s most NHL-experienced lineups — in addition to Duchene and Stalberg, the club also employs the likes of PJ Axelsson, Christian Backman, Fabian Brunnstrom, Joel Lundqvist and Fredrik Sjostrom.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (121)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)