Oct 11, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
Stalberg, 26, had a breakthrough season in Chicago in 2011-12, posting career-highs in games played (79), goals (22), assists (21) and points (43).
He’d long been rumored to be returning to Frolunda — the team he starred for at the junior level before leaving for the University of Vermont in 2006 — and by cementing the deal, he makes the Gothenburg-based club a force to be reckoned with.
Despite the SEL’s controversy surrounding locked-out NHLers (the league originally banned such contracts, only to have that ruling overturned) Frolunda is one of only two teams have taken advantage.
Modo became the first when it signed St. Louis’ Alex Steen. Frolunda is the second and clearly the most aggressive, having already secured the services of Colorado’s Matt Duchene and reportedly being close to inking New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
As such, Frolunda boasts one of Sweden’s most NHL-experienced lineups — in addition to Duchene and Stalberg, the club also employs the likes of PJ Axelsson, Christian Backman, Fabian Brunnstrom, Joel Lundqvist and Fredrik Sjostrom.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)