Oct 11, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
Stalberg, 26, had a breakthrough season in Chicago in 2011-12, posting career-highs in games played (79), goals (22), assists (21) and points (43).
He’d long been rumored to be returning to Frolunda — the team he starred for at the junior level before leaving for the University of Vermont in 2006 — and by cementing the deal, he makes the Gothenburg-based club a force to be reckoned with.
Despite the SEL’s controversy surrounding locked-out NHLers (the league originally banned such contracts, only to have that ruling overturned) Frolunda is one of only two teams have taken advantage.
Modo became the first when it signed St. Louis’ Alex Steen. Frolunda is the second and clearly the most aggressive, having already secured the services of Colorado’s Matt Duchene and reportedly being close to inking New York Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist.
As such, Frolunda boasts one of Sweden’s most NHL-experienced lineups — in addition to Duchene and Stalberg, the club also employs the likes of PJ Axelsson, Christian Backman, Fabian Brunnstrom, Joel Lundqvist and Fredrik Sjostrom.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)