Oct 11, 2012, 2:41 PM EDT
Earlier this week, we learned Rich Hammond was leaving his job as a blogger/beat writer for lakingsinsider.com to take a position with the Orange County Register to cover USC athletics.
The move was disappointing for Kings fans who had come to enjoy and rely on his coverage of the club, but it also made perfect sense. The NHL, after all, had locked out its players, putting the 2012-13 season in jeopardy. Meanwhile, the Trojans’ football team was bowl eligible again after a two-year ban and the newspaper had an opening on its USC beat.
Turns out there was more to the story.
On Sept. 17, Hammond – a Kings employee that was hired in 2009 to cover the team after the local media cut back its hockey coverage – published an interview on the club-owned website with Kings forward Kevin Westgarth, who promptly criticized the NHL for locking out the players.
This apparently displeased the NHL, which forbids all but commissioner Gary Bettman and deputy commissioner Bill Daly from speaking about the lockout on behalf of the owners.
“The league wanted the story taken down,” Hammond told the Los Angeles Daily News. “Technically, they were saying that as a team employee, I had to abide by their rules of not discussing the lockout.”
The Kings stuck up for Hammond – who was hired by the club with the guarantee he would have full editorial control and wouldn’t be used simply for public relations – and the post hasn’t been taken down (Update: it’s been taken down). However, according to the Daily News, “Hammond wondered about maintaining the integrity of the blog if future restrictions or threats were ever put to him again.”
The league has yet to comment on the issue, but at least one reporter is asking. We’ll let you know what the NHL has to say, if anything.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)