Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson told The Ottawa Citizen that he’s “past being frustrated” about a lockout that might just prematurely end his NHL career.
“Like everybody else, I’m disappointed that the owners chose to have this tactic from the very beginning,” Alfredsson said. “They chose to give a low-ball offer from the get-go. It was kind of clear what they wanted and I don’t see anything changing anytime soon.”
His comments fall in line with Wednesday’s unproductive meetings, along with the fact that his Ottawa Senators would have started their regular season tonight under normal circumstances.
Alfredsson sounded optimistic about playing again despite a lockout about a month ago, but his most recent comments were a little more cryptic.
“If nothing happens, I could have played my last game. That’s fine with me,” Alfredsson said. “I’m not going to try and push here. I want a deal that’s fair. And if that means we’re not going to play because the owners don’t want to negotiate fairly with us, then so be it and that’s the way it is. Do I want to play? I love to play. I’m having a blast when I’m out there.”
In the mean time, he’s focusing on off-the-ice training and spending time with his family.
He told The Ottawa Citizen that he hasn’t made a decision if he’d play overseas in the event that the entire season is canceled.
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 6
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 8
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)