Oct 11, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
Daniel Alfredsson told The Ottawa Citizen that he’s “past being frustrated” about a lockout that might just prematurely end his NHL career.
“Like everybody else, I’m disappointed that the owners chose to have this tactic from the very beginning,” Alfredsson said. “They chose to give a low-ball offer from the get-go. It was kind of clear what they wanted and I don’t see anything changing anytime soon.”
His comments fall in line with Wednesday’s unproductive meetings, along with the fact that his Ottawa Senators would have started their regular season tonight under normal circumstances.
Alfredsson sounded optimistic about playing again despite a lockout about a month ago, but his most recent comments were a little more cryptic.
“If nothing happens, I could have played my last game. That’s fine with me,” Alfredsson said. “I’m not going to try and push here. I want a deal that’s fair. And if that means we’re not going to play because the owners don’t want to negotiate fairly with us, then so be it and that’s the way it is. Do I want to play? I love to play. I’m having a blast when I’m out there.”
In the mean time, he’s focusing on off-the-ice training and spending time with his family.
He told The Ottawa Citizen that he hasn’t made a decision if he’d play overseas in the event that the entire season is canceled.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)