Oct 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s breakout stars from last year is on his way to Russia.
(Well, technically Kazakhstan.)
The 23-year-old rearguard played in every single game for the Rangers in 2011-12 (102 in all) and, in a triple-overtime playoff win against Washington, logged an eye-popping 53:21 in ice time. It was the most any Ranger defenseman had played in the last 25 years and cemented McDonagh as one of the Blueshirts’ heart-and-soul guys.
McDonagh referenced his dedication to the club in an email to the Daily News.
“The decision was tough [to join Barys] but ultimately I wanted to put myself in a situation that would best prepare me to be playing at my best when the Rangers start up again,” he explained. “I love playing this game and this is a great opportunity for me to play and stay in game shape so I can ultimately be at my best to help the Rangers win.”
As for McDonagh’s new club — Astana has some familiar faces, including former a pair of ex-Rangers in Nigel Dawes and Nik Antropov.
It also features a tantalizing defensive pairing option in Tampa Bay blueliner Victor Hedman, who signed a lockout deal with the club in late September.
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 15
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 25
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 30
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 27
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)