Oct 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s breakout stars from last year is on his way to Russia.
(Well, technically Kazakhstan.)
The 23-year-old rearguard played in every single game for the Rangers in 2011-12 (102 in all) and, in a triple-overtime playoff win against Washington, logged an eye-popping 53:21 in ice time. It was the most any Ranger defenseman had played in the last 25 years and cemented McDonagh as one of the Blueshirts’ heart-and-soul guys.
McDonagh referenced his dedication to the club in an email to the Daily News.
“The decision was tough [to join Barys] but ultimately I wanted to put myself in a situation that would best prepare me to be playing at my best when the Rangers start up again,” he explained. “I love playing this game and this is a great opportunity for me to play and stay in game shape so I can ultimately be at my best to help the Rangers win.”
As for McDonagh’s new club — Astana has some familiar faces, including former a pair of ex-Rangers in Nigel Dawes and Nik Antropov.
It also features a tantalizing defensive pairing option in Tampa Bay blueliner Victor Hedman, who signed a lockout deal with the club in late September.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)