Oct 10, 2012, 12:00 PM EDT
One of the NHL’s breakout stars from last year is on his way to Russia.
(Well, technically Kazakhstan.)
The 23-year-old rearguard played in every single game for the Rangers in 2011-12 (102 in all) and, in a triple-overtime playoff win against Washington, logged an eye-popping 53:21 in ice time. It was the most any Ranger defenseman had played in the last 25 years and cemented McDonagh as one of the Blueshirts’ heart-and-soul guys.
McDonagh referenced his dedication to the club in an email to the Daily News.
“The decision was tough [to join Barys] but ultimately I wanted to put myself in a situation that would best prepare me to be playing at my best when the Rangers start up again,” he explained. “I love playing this game and this is a great opportunity for me to play and stay in game shape so I can ultimately be at my best to help the Rangers win.”
As for McDonagh’s new club — Astana has some familiar faces, including former a pair of ex-Rangers in Nigel Dawes and Nik Antropov.
It also features a tantalizing defensive pairing option in Tampa Bay blueliner Victor Hedman, who signed a lockout deal with the club in late September.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 13
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)