Oct 10, 2012, 2:45 PM EDT
Odds are Steven Stamkos ends up playing in Europe during the NHL lockout, according to Bovada. The online sports book says it’s a 5/7 possibility he heads overseas (with even odds he stays put).
Of course, that’s just what the odds makers think. The last we heard from the Tampa Bay sniper, at the end of September, he was taking a wait-and-see approach.
“I probably won’t be thinking about anything until mid-October, depending on things,” Stamkos told the Tampa Tribune. “I might go home in a couple of weeks, we’ll see. Everyone wants to play and that’s the frustrating part because (the NHLPA) feels like we have an offer on the table that is fair for both sides. And at the end of the day we just want to play hockey, so it’s tough right now.”
Heading into the second year of a five-year, $37.5 million contract, the 22-year-old will earn $3 million in the form of a signing bonus regardless of whether the upcoming NHL season is cancelled. And considering he’s got a lengthy, profitable career ahead of him, we imagine insurance costs would be substantial to sign in Europe. Plus, there’s always the chance the owners and players reach an agreement.
But if the lockout drags on and he’s itching to play, there will be plenty of opportunities.
Two superstars Bovada thinks are less likely (1/2) to head overseas are Henrik and Daniel Sedin. The twins spent three seasons with Modo of the Swedish Elite League before joining the Canucks, but they’ve also got young families in Vancouver and, like Stamkos, don’t particularly need the money.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 7
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 30
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)