Oct 10, 2012, 5:28 PM EDT
The Alberta Labour Board ruled in favor of the NHL today, shooting down the NHLPA’s attempt to block the league from locking out the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers, TSN reports.
This comes a little less than a month after Quebec’s board backed the NHL in a similar players’ effort regarding the Montreal Canadiens.
If you’re not that desperate for a lockout diversion, The Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott compiled some of the highlights.
Elliott’s first excerpt from the Alberta Labour Board’s decision:
“We are of the opinion this is a case where it makes labour relations sense to exercise our discretion not to make a declaration of unlawful conduct and not to issue any remedy.”
The Alberta Labour Board also noted that it would be odd to make a decision based on just two of the NHL’s 30 franchises:
“Finally, for this Board to intervene in this dispute and declare the lockout illegal as it relates to the Alberta teams and their players (or otherwise interfere with the progress of collective bargaining on a league-wide basis) would be detrimental to the ongoing relationship between the parties and the ability of the league to function properly. The result of such an intervention by this Board would be to effectively remove the Calgary Flames and Edmonton Oilers teams and players from the league-wide collective bargaining process that the parties have historically engaged in and has been established and recognized under the NLRA.”
In other words: you two are on your own.
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 2) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; Blues tie it up in waning moments 91
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 45
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 74
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 63