Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM EST
Having already secured the services of St. Louis Blues forward Matt D’Agostini, German second division team SC Riessersee added more NHL talent on Wednesday by signing Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro to a lockout deal.
The news was followed by everybody making their best “He will immediately report to IR” jokes on Twitter.
To be fair, DiPietro’s health history means he is something of a gamble for the German club. He’s only appeared in 47 games over the last four seasons for the Islanders thanks to a medical chart the size of a phone book — here’s what it looks like on his TSN bio page:
And that only covers the last three years!
The good news here is that DiPietro’s looking to get his career back on track, which has to be a welcome development for the Islanders organization. The 31-year-old still has nine years remaining on the 15-year, $67.5 million deal signed back in 2006.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)