Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM EST
Having already secured the services of St. Louis Blues forward Matt D’Agostini, German second division team SC Riessersee added more NHL talent on Wednesday by signing Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro to a lockout deal.
The news was followed by everybody making their best “He will immediately report to IR” jokes on Twitter.
To be fair, DiPietro’s health history means he is something of a gamble for the German club. He’s only appeared in 47 games over the last four seasons for the Islanders thanks to a medical chart the size of a phone book — here’s what it looks like on his TSN bio page:
And that only covers the last three years!
The good news here is that DiPietro’s looking to get his career back on track, which has to be a welcome development for the Islanders organization. The 31-year-old still has nine years remaining on the 15-year, $67.5 million deal signed back in 2006.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 5
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)