Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM EDT
Having already secured the services of St. Louis Blues forward Matt D’Agostini, German second division team SC Riessersee added more NHL talent on Wednesday by signing Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro to a lockout deal.
The news was followed by everybody making their best “He will immediately report to IR” jokes on Twitter.
To be fair, DiPietro’s health history means he is something of a gamble for the German club. He’s only appeared in 47 games over the last four seasons for the Islanders thanks to a medical chart the size of a phone book – here’s what it looks like on his TSN bio page:
And that only covers the last three years!
The good news here is that DiPietro’s looking to get his career back on track, which has to be a welcome development for the Islanders organization. The 31-year-old still has nine years remaining on the 15-year, $67.5 million deal signed back in 2006.
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 34
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 153
- Jets can’t let Kane situation fester much longer 49
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery 57
- Kane: ‘I’m a Winnipeg Jet right now… we’ll see what happens’ 50
- McDavid, Eichel top Central Scouting Futures list 14
- Columnist: Mike Green is ‘destined to be traded’ by Caps 40
- Spezza: ‘I’m just a piece to the puzzle’ in Dallas 32
- Ovechkin ‘upset’ at Grabovski departure, happy with defensive signings 18
- Washington Capitals were free agency’s biggest spenders 15
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (158)
- Pros and cons of Subban filing for arbitration (67)
- Giroux apologizes, calls actions a ‘misguided attempt at humor’ (64)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (58)