Oct 10, 2012, 10:38 AM EST
Having already secured the services of St. Louis Blues forward Matt D’Agostini, German second division team SC Riessersee added more NHL talent on Wednesday by signing Islanders goalie Rick DiPietro to a lockout deal.
The news was followed by everybody making their best “He will immediately report to IR” jokes on Twitter.
To be fair, DiPietro’s health history means he is something of a gamble for the German club. He’s only appeared in 47 games over the last four seasons for the Islanders thanks to a medical chart the size of a phone book — here’s what it looks like on his TSN bio page:
And that only covers the last three years!
The good news here is that DiPietro’s looking to get his career back on track, which has to be a welcome development for the Islanders organization. The 31-year-old still has nine years remaining on the 15-year, $67.5 million deal signed back in 2006.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 38
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 63
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 19
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 13
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 69
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (71)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)