Oct 10, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Another day, another Red Wing signing overseas.
Emmerton broke into the Detroit lineup on a full-time basis in 2011-12, appearing in 71 games while recording 6G-4A-10PTS. He also scored his first-ever NHL playoff goal in the Red Wings’ opening-round loss to the Nashville Predators.
The strong freshman campaign earned Emmerton high praise; he was named the 2011-12 Red Wings’ Rookie of the Year by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.
In Finland, Emmerton will join a SaiPa team light on NHL experience. The team is predominantly built around European league veterans but does feature Brian Salcido, a former Anaheim prospect who played briefly for the Ducks during the 2008-09 season.
Emmerton also becomes the 10th Red Wing to sign overseas during the lockout. The others are Henrik Zetterberg (Switzerland), Damien Brunner (Switzerland), Pavel Datsyuk (KHL), Valtteri Filppula (Finland), Jakub Kindl (Czech Extraliga), Jan Mursak (Austria), Tomas Tatar (Slovak Extraliga) and Jonathan Ericsson (Swedish third division).
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 32
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 35
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 54
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (54)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)