Oct 10, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Another day, another Red Wing signing overseas.
Emmerton broke into the Detroit lineup on a full-time basis in 2011-12, appearing in 71 games while recording 6G-4A-10PTS. He also scored his first-ever NHL playoff goal in the Red Wings’ opening-round loss to the Nashville Predators.
The strong freshman campaign earned Emmerton high praise; he was named the 2011-12 Red Wings’ Rookie of the Year by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.
In Finland, Emmerton will join a SaiPa team light on NHL experience. The team is predominantly built around European league veterans but does feature Brian Salcido, a former Anaheim prospect who played briefly for the Ducks during the 2008-09 season.
Emmerton also becomes the 10th Red Wing to sign overseas during the lockout. The others are Henrik Zetterberg (Switzerland), Damien Brunner (Switzerland), Pavel Datsyuk (KHL), Valtteri Filppula (Finland), Jakub Kindl (Czech Extraliga), Jan Mursak (Austria), Tomas Tatar (Slovak Extraliga) and Jonathan Ericsson (Swedish third division).
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)