Oct 10, 2012, 12:45 PM EST
Another day, another Red Wing signing overseas.
Emmerton broke into the Detroit lineup on a full-time basis in 2011-12, appearing in 71 games while recording 6G-4A-10PTS. He also scored his first-ever NHL playoff goal in the Red Wings’ opening-round loss to the Nashville Predators.
The strong freshman campaign earned Emmerton high praise; he was named the 2011-12 Red Wings’ Rookie of the Year by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.
In Finland, Emmerton will join a SaiPa team light on NHL experience. The team is predominantly built around European league veterans but does feature Brian Salcido, a former Anaheim prospect who played briefly for the Ducks during the 2008-09 season.
Emmerton also becomes the 10th Red Wing to sign overseas during the lockout. The others are Henrik Zetterberg (Switzerland), Damien Brunner (Switzerland), Pavel Datsyuk (KHL), Valtteri Filppula (Finland), Jakub Kindl (Czech Extraliga), Jan Mursak (Austria), Tomas Tatar (Slovak Extraliga) and Jonathan Ericsson (Swedish third division).
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 30
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 35
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 80
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)