Oct 10, 2012, 12:45 PM EST
Another day, another Red Wing signing overseas.
Emmerton broke into the Detroit lineup on a full-time basis in 2011-12, appearing in 71 games while recording 6G-4A-10PTS. He also scored his first-ever NHL playoff goal in the Red Wings’ opening-round loss to the Nashville Predators.
The strong freshman campaign earned Emmerton high praise; he was named the 2011-12 Red Wings’ Rookie of the Year by the Detroit Sports Broadcasters Association.
In Finland, Emmerton will join a SaiPa team light on NHL experience. The team is predominantly built around European league veterans but does feature Brian Salcido, a former Anaheim prospect who played briefly for the Ducks during the 2008-09 season.
Emmerton also becomes the 10th Red Wing to sign overseas during the lockout. The others are Henrik Zetterberg (Switzerland), Damien Brunner (Switzerland), Pavel Datsyuk (KHL), Valtteri Filppula (Finland), Jakub Kindl (Czech Extraliga), Jan Mursak (Austria), Tomas Tatar (Slovak Extraliga) and Jonathan Ericsson (Swedish third division).
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 19
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)