Oct 10, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
It only took two hours for fans in Vancouver to snap up 5,000 tickets for a charity hockey game being put on by Canucks defenseman Kevin Bieksa.
Just in case you were wondering if the NHL lockout had killed hockey’s popularity in Canada.
The “Bieksa’s Buddies” game on Oct. 17 at the University of British Columbia will feature current members of the Canucks like Daniel and Henrik Sedin, Dan Hamhuis, Manny Malhotra, Max Lapierre, Cory Schneider, as well as former Vancouver defenseman Willie Mitchell.
And as you might imagine, there’s not expected to be much defense played out there.
“It’s not playoff hockey,” Bieksa told the Vancouver Sun. “It’s a charity game and, more than anything, it’s entertainment. I’m encouraging guys to be creative out there, have some fun and don’t backcheck too hard. So for the Sedins, just play your normal game … be creative but don’t backcheck.”
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 0
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights