Oct 9, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
The provision that allows teams to have contact with injured players during the lockout has been a blessing for Dean Lombardi.
Lombardi told the LA Times on Monday that “everything is on schedule” for Quick’s recovery, which was initially given a six-week window.
Quick underwent a procedure to deal with an inflammatory cyst and a disc fragment in early August. At the time, assistant GM Ron Hextall said the 26-year-old ‘tender would be ready to return to the ice “sometime around training camp” — which was supposed to begin on Sept. 21 — a camp that was cancelled due to the work stoppage.
Of course, Quick might be one of the few players actually benefiting from the lockout.
In addition to gaining extra rehab time for his back, he’ll get some rest after shouldering one of the league’s heaviest workloads over the last three seasons.
Quick appeared in a career-high 72 games during the 2009-10 season and finished fourth in the NHL with 69 appearances last season, then made the longest playoff run of his career (20 games).
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 48
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 15
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 15
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 12
- BREAKING: Voynov charged with felony for domestic violence 33
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 40
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 36
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 57
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)