Oct 9, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
The provision that allows teams to have contact with injured players during the lockout has been a blessing for Dean Lombardi.
Lombardi told the LA Times on Monday that “everything is on schedule” for Quick’s recovery, which was initially given a six-week window.
Quick underwent a procedure to deal with an inflammatory cyst and a disc fragment in early August. At the time, assistant GM Ron Hextall said the 26-year-old ‘tender would be ready to return to the ice “sometime around training camp” — which was supposed to begin on Sept. 21 — a camp that was cancelled due to the work stoppage.
Of course, Quick might be one of the few players actually benefiting from the lockout.
In addition to gaining extra rehab time for his back, he’ll get some rest after shouldering one of the league’s heaviest workloads over the last three seasons.
Quick appeared in a career-high 72 games during the 2009-10 season and finished fourth in the NHL with 69 appearances last season, then made the longest playoff run of his career (20 games).
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 9
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 1
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)