Oct 9, 2012, 2:39 PM EDT
An anonymous poll suggests Gary Bettman would lose in a landslide if NHL players voted for the commissioner.
The poll, conducted by ESPN, illustrates what’s believed to be one of the main roadblocks to reaching a new CBA – the players really don’t like the guy on the other side of the bargaining table.
Such is the level of animosity that all 13 NHLers polled said they’d vote for “someone else” over Bettman.
In stark contrast, 57.9 percent of the 22 MLB players ESPN polled said they’d re-elect Bud Selig as commissioner. (Not coincidentally, there’s no salary cap in baseball and there hasn’t been a work stoppage since the 1994-95 strike that cancelled the World Series.)
Players from all four major leagues participated in the poll, offering their opinions on everything from the upcoming United States presidential election to the legalization of gay marriage.
And since we all know what happens in the comments section when we mention politics in a post, we’ll let you peruse the other results yourself.
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 2
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)