Oct 9, 2012, 8:11 PM EDT
NHLPA boss Donald Fehr wouldn’t rule out the possibility of the salary cap itself being put on the table if the lockout drags on.
“If this goes on for an extended period of time, I don’t know what they (the players) are going to do,” Fehr said. “But I think it’s safe to say, they would be exploring all options.”
Such an action from the players would likely be seen as a non-starter in the eyes of the league and it’s already prompted a response from NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly.
“How the PA ulitmately determines to deal with that issue(salary cap) is it’s own business,” Daly told TSN’s Gino Reda. “But it will also be very telling on the legitimacy and credibility of its claim that it wants a settlement that will get the players back on the ice quickly.”
In other words, an attempt by the union to bring down the salary cap might lead to a longer lockout. Still, before you start to prepare for the worst, it’s worth emphasizing that Fehr isn’t suggesting that the NHLPA will fight the existence of a salary cap just yet.
“If there can be an agreement in a relatively short term, which puts the pieces back together and gets the season going, I think the players can live with that,” Fehr said.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 7
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 39
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 62
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)