Oct 9, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
Anton Volchenkov‘s defensive skills earned him a six-year, $25.5 million deal with the New Jersey Devils in the summer of 2010. However, with the lockout dragging on, he’ll stay sharp by playing with HC Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of the KHL, according to the league’s site.
“I’m very glad to be able to help Torpedo and I’m grateful to the club for showing faith in me,” Volchenkov said. “I know a lot of the guys here. I’ve met some while with the national team, and I played with Petr Schastlivy in the NHL. It was my first season over there and he helped me settled in.”
Volchenkov wouldn’t describe himself as being in “peak condition,” but he is committed to catching up after not participating in the first month of the KHL season.
He led the New Jersey Devils in hits and blocked shots last season and was second on the team in short-handed minutes despite being limited to 72 games.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)