Oct 9, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
Anton Volchenkov‘s defensive skills earned him a six-year, $25.5 million deal with the New Jersey Devils in the summer of 2010. However, with the lockout dragging on, he’ll stay sharp by playing with HC Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod of the KHL, according to the league’s site.
“I’m very glad to be able to help Torpedo and I’m grateful to the club for showing faith in me,” Volchenkov said. “I know a lot of the guys here. I’ve met some while with the national team, and I played with Petr Schastlivy in the NHL. It was my first season over there and he helped me settled in.”
Volchenkov wouldn’t describe himself as being in “peak condition,” but he is committed to catching up after not participating in the first month of the KHL season.
He led the New Jersey Devils in hits and blocked shots last season and was second on the team in short-handed minutes despite being limited to 72 games.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)