Oct 8, 2012, 10:36 AM EST
It appears Henrik Zetterberg‘s had a change of heart.
After saying he didn’t have any immediate plans to play overseas — something he stated as recently as last week — the 32-year-old Swede has agreed to play for EV Zug of Switzerland’s National A League, according to USA Today.
Zetterberg reportedly made the decision this weekend after finding the right financial situation in Zug.
During the lockout in 2004-05, [Zetterberg] played for his old club in Sweden. But that wasn’t an option this time around because he has $50 million left on his contract, requiring heavy insurance.
He said he’d only consider a place in Europe where neither the insurance nor the taxes would be devastating. He found the answer with Zug, home to Red Wings signee Damien Brunner and Montreal Canadiens defenseman Raphael Diaz.
With the move, Zetterberg becomes the eighth Red Wing to sign overseas during the lockout.
Brunner is also in Switzerland, Pavel Datsyuk is in the KHL, Valtteri Filppula returned to Finland, Jakub Kindl went to the Czech Extraliga, Tomas Tatar went to the Slovak Extraliga and Jonathan Ericsson signed with a third-tier Swedish team.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)