Oct 8, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
In late September, a few eyebrows were raised when Wayne Simmonds signed on to play in Germany’s second division with the world-renowned Crimmitschau Hockey and Tennis Club.
This weekend, more eyebrows went up.
In a game between Crimmitschau and the Fischtown Pinguins, Simmonds dropped the gloves with Pinguins forward Ralf Rinke.
Contrary to popular belief, Ralf Rinke wasn’t one of the villains from Inglorious Basterds. He’s just a hockey player.
Anyway, the bout did not go well for ol’ Ralfie (FF to 1:53):
This reputation was clearly not lost on Rinke, who showed off his battle scars on Facebook:
If you couldn’t figure it out, that’s Rinke with the mangled eye socket.
Simmonds is probably happy NHL clubs aren’t allowed to have contact with their players during the lockout, because someone from the Flyers would probably be blowing a gasket at him right about now.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 0
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 7
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 52
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 15
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)