Oct 8, 2012, 4:00 PM EST
In late September, a few eyebrows were raised when Wayne Simmonds signed on to play in Germany’s second division with the world-renowned Crimmitschau Hockey and Tennis Club.
This weekend, more eyebrows went up.
In a game between Crimmitschau and the Fischtown Pinguins, Simmonds dropped the gloves with Pinguins forward Ralf Rinke.
Contrary to popular belief, Ralf Rinke wasn’t one of the villains from Inglorious Basterds. He’s just a hockey player.
Anyway, the bout did not go well for ol’ Ralfie (FF to 1:53):
This reputation was clearly not lost on Rinke, who showed off his battle scars on Facebook:
If you couldn’t figure it out, that’s Rinke with the mangled eye socket.
Simmonds is probably happy NHL clubs aren’t allowed to have contact with their players during the lockout, because someone from the Flyers would probably be blowing a gasket at him right about now.
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 3
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 14
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 58
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 20
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 36
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 16
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 5