Oct 8, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
In late September, a few eyebrows were raised when Wayne Simmonds signed on to play in Germany’s second division with the world-renowned Crimmitschau Hockey and Tennis Club.
This weekend, more eyebrows went up.
In a game between Crimmitschau and the Fischtown Pinguins, Simmonds dropped the gloves with Pinguins forward Ralf Rinke.
Contrary to popular belief, Ralf Rinke wasn’t one of the villains from Inglorious Basterds. He’s just a hockey player.
Anyway, the bout did not go well for ol’ Ralfie (FF to 1:53):
This reputation was clearly not lost on Rinke, who showed off his battle scars on Facebook:
If you couldn’t figure it out, that’s Rinke with the mangled eye socket.
Simmonds is probably happy NHL clubs aren’t allowed to have contact with their players during the lockout, because someone from the Flyers would probably be blowing a gasket at him right about now.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54