Oct 8, 2012, 4:00 PM EDT
In late September, a few eyebrows were raised when Wayne Simmonds signed on to play in Germany’s second division with the world-renowned Crimmitschau Hockey and Tennis Club.
This weekend, more eyebrows went up.
In a game between Crimmitschau and the Fischtown Pinguins, Simmonds dropped the gloves with Pinguins forward Ralf Rinke.
Contrary to popular belief, Ralf Rinke wasn’t one of the villains from Inglorious Basterds. He’s just a hockey player.
Anyway, the bout did not go well for ol’ Ralfie (FF to 1:53):
This reputation was clearly not lost on Rinke, who showed off his battle scars on Facebook:
If you couldn’t figure it out, that’s Rinke with the mangled eye socket.
Simmonds is probably happy NHL clubs aren’t allowed to have contact with their players during the lockout, because someone from the Flyers would probably be blowing a gasket at him right about now.
- Video: Controversial Kane goal has Laviolette fuming 0
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 0
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 36
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 45
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Datsyuk, Mrazek powers Red Wings past Lightning in Game 1 30