Oct 8, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
If the players accept a big cut in NHL revenue to end the lockout, who’s to say the owners won’t seek another big cut the next time the CBA expires?
It’s a concern that’s shared by many players, including Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador.
“We need the right deal so this doesn’t happen every five or six years,” Salvador told The Star-Ledger. “That’s what the players are striving for. We just have to get it right.”
But how exactly the two sides craft a deal that keeps the league from coming back for a bigger slice of the pie every time the CBA expires is the question.
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr believes the best answer is to get rid of the salary cap, thereby eliminating the regularly scheduled fight over how to split up the revenue. Whatever the free market decides is the split, as it was in the past.
However, Fehr also knows that’s a non-starter for the owners, which is why he has to keep the NHLPA unified in hopes the owners get the message that the players won’t be bullied. Sort of a “mutual assured destruction” idea.
In the meantime, we all get to enjoy hockey’s version of the Cold War.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)