Oct 8, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
If the players accept a big cut in NHL revenue to end the lockout, who’s to say the owners won’t seek another big cut the next time the CBA expires?
It’s a concern that’s shared by many players, including Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador.
“We need the right deal so this doesn’t happen every five or six years,” Salvador told The Star-Ledger. “That’s what the players are striving for. We just have to get it right.”
But how exactly the two sides craft a deal that keeps the league from coming back for a bigger slice of the pie every time the CBA expires is the question.
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr believes the best answer is to get rid of the salary cap, thereby eliminating the regularly scheduled fight over how to split up the revenue. Whatever the free market decides is the split, as it was in the past.
However, Fehr also knows that’s a non-starter for the owners, which is why he has to keep the NHLPA unified in hopes the owners get the message that the players won’t be bullied. Sort of a “mutual assured destruction” idea.
In the meantime, we all get to enjoy hockey’s version of the Cold War.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 11
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 12
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 66
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 89
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)