Oct 8, 2012, 1:10 PM EDT
If the players accept a big cut in NHL revenue to end the lockout, who’s to say the owners won’t seek another big cut the next time the CBA expires?
It’s a concern that’s shared by many players, including Devils defenseman Bryce Salvador.
“We need the right deal so this doesn’t happen every five or six years,” Salvador told The Star-Ledger. “That’s what the players are striving for. We just have to get it right.”
But how exactly the two sides craft a deal that keeps the league from coming back for a bigger slice of the pie every time the CBA expires is the question.
NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr believes the best answer is to get rid of the salary cap, thereby eliminating the regularly scheduled fight over how to split up the revenue. Whatever the free market decides is the split, as it was in the past.
However, Fehr also knows that’s a non-starter for the owners, which is why he has to keep the NHLPA unified in hopes the owners get the message that the players won’t be bullied. Sort of a “mutual assured destruction” idea.
In the meantime, we all get to enjoy hockey’s version of the Cold War.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 9
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 10
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 9
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 10
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)