Oct 8, 2012, 9:27 PM EST
City and county councils are expected to vote on the Seattle arena plan next Monday (Oct. 15), King 5 News reports.
To be exact, the dual voting will cover the city of Seattle and King County. The two voting sessions are expected to take place a half hour apart next week.
While it’s possible that an NHL team might inhabit that possible arena in the future, the people behind the arena movement have made it clear that their main goal is to attract an NBA franchise.
In fact, they said that they don’t have a plan that would include an NHL team as the lone tenant.
Some might be sad to realize that this plan probably reduces the chances of an NHL team being named the Seattle SuperSonics. Then again, that NBA team might want to forge its own identity, so you never know.
If you need yet another brief lockout diversion, try naming a hypothetical Seattle-based NHL team.
(About.com has a handy list of Seattle-are team names, if you’d prefer to go the historical and/or lazy route.)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 1
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)