Oct 8, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Could one of Sweden’s biggest hockey stars soon be coming home?
Rangers goalie Henrik Lundqvist — a former standout in the Swedish Elite League — has been a target of SEL team Frolunda, the team he starred for at the junior and senior levels before coming to New York in 2005-06.
Now it appears Frolunda has overcome a big financial obstacle in bringing its local hero home.
This weekend Frolunda has put together financing to cover the cost of Lundqvist’s insurance, which is estimated at about $30,000 a month to protect the remaining two years and $13.75 million of his Rangers contract, according to reports from the Goteborgs-Posten and other Swedish news outlets.
All N.H.L.-paid insurance policies on players are suspended for the duration of the lockout, so separate insurance is necessary, and it is expensive.
Lundqvist was the Elitserien M.V.P. while leading Frolunda to the 2005 championship. He has said a number of times in recent weeks that he would consider returning there during the lockout. If he does, his insurance will be covered by a consortium of sponsors, a common practice among European clubs signing N.H.L. players during the lockout.
The Times reached out to Lundqvist’s agent, Don Meehan, who said there was “nothing to report” on Lundqvist and Frolunda — but if the club’s history is any suggestion, there could be soon.
Hiring NHL players on a short-term basis is still a contentious issue in Sweden, even though the ban was declared illegal under Swedish and European labor law in September.
As such, several Swedish players have opted to play in other leagues in the interim — Detroit’s Henrik Zetterberg joined Swiss club EV Zug, Dallas’ Tom Wandell signed in the KHL and Erik Karlsson joined Finland’s SM-lliga.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Head coach Todd McLellan thinks he can play, at least.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT
“But sometimes you have to lose what you have to realize what you had.”
Sep 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EDT
Players nursing bumps and bruises as camps wrap.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
“In a perfect world, it would be three.”
Sep 21, 2014, 7:31 PM EDT
“He’s thinking usually two or three plays ahead.”
Sep 21, 2014, 6:09 PM EDT
“God, defense was just so much fun though.”
Sep 21, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The team’s still trying to determine if surgery is necessary.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:48 PM EDT
He won’t play in either of Ottawa’s Monday exhibitions games.
Sep 21, 2014, 3:02 PM EDT
Seasoning in the AHL should serve the 20-year-old well.
Sep 21, 2014, 1:31 PM EDT
Agent confirms talking to several KHL teams.
Sep 21, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
With Giroux out, Craig Berube juggles lines.
Sep 21, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Not at Oilers camp for the first time in his career.
Sep 21, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Columbus looking at options with Johansen not at camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:36 PM EDT
The restricted free agent seems to be at an impasse with Columbus.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said he’s “fine,” but he initially said the same of Clowe when the player had a concussion.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
The knee injury he sustained during the lockout shortened season might be partially to blame for his struggles.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:07 PM EDT
That’s after years of being the center of a goaltending controversy in Vancouver.
Sep 20, 2014, 8:09 PM EDT
Can they be the first repeat winners since Detroit in 1997-98?
Sep 20, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
He was asked how he would have handled the Ray Rice situation.
Sep 20, 2014, 6:07 PM EDT
Do Thornton and Marleau disagree with coach Todd McLellan on this point?
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)