Oct 8, 2012, 10:42 PM EST
Adam Henrique’s rookie season was a surprising success, yet he finds himself back in the AHL because of the lockout.
The speedy forward decided to focus on positives in an interview with Sports Illustrated.
“I get to play. I get to work on my game. I can get a head start for when we do get back,” Henrique said. ” … Every team is going to have guys from the NHL working on their games, trying to earn their spots again. It’s the best hockey to watch right now.”
The KHL’s star-packed roster could provide an interesting counterpoint, but Henrique is justified in expecting heightened competition in the locked-out version of the AHL.
He’ll get a chance to work on his game without the pressuring of attempting an encore performance. Henrique reflected on Zach Parise‘s absence as the departed star inspires his offseason focus on puck control.
“I really learned from Zach that you have to be strong on the puck,” Henrique says. “If he lost it, he’d go back and get it. He pursued every puck, never gave up on a play.”
The Devils brass would likely be delighted to see an even-better Henrique whenever NHL games start up again.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 16
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 4
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 21
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)