Oct 8, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
Adam Henrique’s rookie season was a surprising success, yet he finds himself back in the AHL because of the lockout.
The speedy forward decided to focus on positives in an interview with Sports Illustrated.
“I get to play. I get to work on my game. I can get a head start for when we do get back,” Henrique said. ” … Every team is going to have guys from the NHL working on their games, trying to earn their spots again. It’s the best hockey to watch right now.”
The KHL’s star-packed roster could provide an interesting counterpoint, but Henrique is justified in expecting heightened competition in the locked-out version of the AHL.
He’ll get a chance to work on his game without the pressuring of attempting an encore performance. Henrique reflected on Zach Parise‘s absence as the departed star inspires his offseason focus on puck control.
“I really learned from Zach that you have to be strong on the puck,” Henrique says. “If he lost it, he’d go back and get it. He pursued every puck, never gave up on a play.”
The Devils brass would likely be delighted to see an even-better Henrique whenever NHL games start up again.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 7
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 12
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 20
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)