Oct 8, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
Adam Henrique’s rookie season was a surprising success, yet he finds himself back in the AHL because of the lockout.
The speedy forward decided to focus on positives in an interview with Sports Illustrated.
“I get to play. I get to work on my game. I can get a head start for when we do get back,” Henrique said. ” … Every team is going to have guys from the NHL working on their games, trying to earn their spots again. It’s the best hockey to watch right now.”
The KHL’s star-packed roster could provide an interesting counterpoint, but Henrique is justified in expecting heightened competition in the locked-out version of the AHL.
He’ll get a chance to work on his game without the pressuring of attempting an encore performance. Henrique reflected on Zach Parise‘s absence as the departed star inspires his offseason focus on puck control.
“I really learned from Zach that you have to be strong on the puck,” Henrique says. “If he lost it, he’d go back and get it. He pursued every puck, never gave up on a play.”
The Devils brass would likely be delighted to see an even-better Henrique whenever NHL games start up again.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)