Oct 8, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
Adam Henrique’s rookie season was a surprising success, yet he finds himself back in the AHL because of the lockout.
The speedy forward decided to focus on positives in an interview with Sports Illustrated.
“I get to play. I get to work on my game. I can get a head start for when we do get back,” Henrique said. ” … Every team is going to have guys from the NHL working on their games, trying to earn their spots again. It’s the best hockey to watch right now.”
The KHL’s star-packed roster could provide an interesting counterpoint, but Henrique is justified in expecting heightened competition in the locked-out version of the AHL.
He’ll get a chance to work on his game without the pressuring of attempting an encore performance. Henrique reflected on Zach Parise‘s absence as the departed star inspires his offseason focus on puck control.
“I really learned from Zach that you have to be strong on the puck,” Henrique says. “If he lost it, he’d go back and get it. He pursued every puck, never gave up on a play.”
The Devils brass would likely be delighted to see an even-better Henrique whenever NHL games start up again.
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 12
- NHL postpones Blue Jackets-Stars game following Peverley’s collapse 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 11
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 21
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 32
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)