Oct 8, 2012, 10:42 PM EDT
Adam Henrique’s rookie season was a surprising success, yet he finds himself back in the AHL because of the lockout.
The speedy forward decided to focus on positives in an interview with Sports Illustrated.
“I get to play. I get to work on my game. I can get a head start for when we do get back,” Henrique said. ” … Every team is going to have guys from the NHL working on their games, trying to earn their spots again. It’s the best hockey to watch right now.”
The KHL’s star-packed roster could provide an interesting counterpoint, but Henrique is justified in expecting heightened competition in the locked-out version of the AHL.
He’ll get a chance to work on his game without the pressuring of attempting an encore performance. Henrique reflected on Zach Parise‘s absence as the departed star inspires his offseason focus on puck control.
“I really learned from Zach that you have to be strong on the puck,” Henrique says. “If he lost it, he’d go back and get it. He pursued every puck, never gave up on a play.”
The Devils brass would likely be delighted to see an even-better Henrique whenever NHL games start up again.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)