Oct 8, 2012, 7:28 PM EST
While numerous NHL players are opting to play in Europe or the AHL, Brandon Dubinsky hopes to stay sharp in … Alaska.
Dubinsky is coming off the worst full pro season of his career – his final one with the New York Rangers.
He scored 34 points after compiling a career-high 54 in a contract year, prompting a wave of trade rumors before he was sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets in the Rick Nash trade.
Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger admitted that Columbus now seems like a team brimming with second-liners, which indicates that Dubinsky was in line for a chance to be a go-to guy.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Dubinsky was antsy to redeem himself and take on a bigger role, but that opportunity is now on hold.
The Aces’ season starts on Friday, Oct. 19 so he’ll have time to get acquainted with his new, lesser-paid teammates.
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 77
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 6
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 58
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 53
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (77)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (58)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)