Oct 8, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
While numerous NHL players are opting to play in Europe or the AHL, Brandon Dubinsky hopes to stay sharp in … Alaska.
Dubinsky is coming off the worst full pro season of his career – his final one with the New York Rangers.
He scored 34 points after compiling a career-high 54 in a contract year, prompting a wave of trade rumors before he was sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets in the Rick Nash trade.
Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger admitted that Columbus now seems like a team brimming with second-liners, which indicates that Dubinsky was in line for a chance to be a go-to guy.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Dubinsky was antsy to redeem himself and take on a bigger role, but that opportunity is now on hold.
The Aces’ season starts on Friday, Oct. 19 so he’ll have time to get acquainted with his new, lesser-paid teammates.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)