Oct 8, 2012, 7:28 PM EDT
While numerous NHL players are opting to play in Europe or the AHL, Brandon Dubinsky hopes to stay sharp in … Alaska.
Dubinsky is coming off the worst full pro season of his career – his final one with the New York Rangers.
He scored 34 points after compiling a career-high 54 in a contract year, prompting a wave of trade rumors before he was sent to the Columbus Blue Jackets in the Rick Nash trade.
Blue Jackets forward R.J. Umberger admitted that Columbus now seems like a team brimming with second-liners, which indicates that Dubinsky was in line for a chance to be a go-to guy.
It wouldn’t be surprising if Dubinsky was antsy to redeem himself and take on a bigger role, but that opportunity is now on hold.
The Aces’ season starts on Friday, Oct. 19 so he’ll have time to get acquainted with his new, lesser-paid teammates.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5