Oct 8, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
The Finnish top flight has been busy adding defensemen of late, including Alec Martinez (TPS) and Philip Larsen (Lukko). In late September, powerhouse team Jokerit secured the services of Ottawa’s Erik Karlsson, the reigning Norris Trophy winner.
Robidas, 35, is no stranger to the European game — during the 2004-05 lockout, he played with the Frankfurt Lions of the German league and emerged as one of the circuit’s top offensive defensemen, scoring 47 points in 51 games.
In Helsinki, Robidas will join a team featuring a number of current- and ex-NHLers. Edmonton’s Lennart Petrell and Florida’s Sean Bergenheim signed with Helsinki during the lockout while Joel Perreault, Patrick O’Sullivan and Ville Peltonen make up the ex-NHLer contingent.
Robidas is in the penultimate season of a four-year, $13.2 million extension signed with Dallas in 2009. He’s one of the most vested veterans on the Stars roster, having been with the team since 2005-06 (playing nine seasons in Dallas all told.)
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 6
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)