Oct 7, 2012, 10:18 PM EDT
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman told NHL.com that the league might have over-corrected when it decided to crack down on boarding last season.
“I think we put an emphasis on boarding and kind of rewrote the rule last year, and to be perfectly honest I don’t think it worked out well at all,” Yzerman said. “Now every time a guy gets hit in the boards he throws himself in the boards and lays there until he sees if the referee puts his hands up or not. Players with the puck have some responsibility to protect themselves and not put themselves in vulnerable positions. That’s the one rule I’d like to see us continue to spend time on.”
He didn’t really go beyond that, however, including an explanation of what exactly he would do to change boarding rules.
Still, if there was a silver lining from the last lockout, it came in the rules changes that generally benefited the sport.
There’s plenty of time to discuss what rules you’d like the league to tweak, eliminate or more regularly enforce, so feel free to share the changes you believe would benefit the NHL the most.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 48
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)