Oct 7, 2012, 10:18 PM EST
Tampa Bay Lightning GM Steve Yzerman told NHL.com that the league might have over-corrected when it decided to crack down on boarding last season.
“I think we put an emphasis on boarding and kind of rewrote the rule last year, and to be perfectly honest I don’t think it worked out well at all,” Yzerman said. “Now every time a guy gets hit in the boards he throws himself in the boards and lays there until he sees if the referee puts his hands up or not. Players with the puck have some responsibility to protect themselves and not put themselves in vulnerable positions. That’s the one rule I’d like to see us continue to spend time on.”
He didn’t really go beyond that, however, including an explanation of what exactly he would do to change boarding rules.
Still, if there was a silver lining from the last lockout, it came in the rules changes that generally benefited the sport.
There’s plenty of time to discuss what rules you’d like the league to tweak, eliminate or more regularly enforce, so feel free to share the changes you believe would benefit the NHL the most.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 16
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)