Oct 7, 2012, 8:50 PM EST
Aside from the oddness of wearing No. 32, Alex Ovechkin is displaying glimpses of the blistering sniper from his 50+ goal seasons.
While he didn’t carve his way through defensemen like he did during his most famous tallies, this slam-dunk slapper also conjures the good old days of Ovechkin lighting up scoreboards:
He’s not leaving the rest of the KHL in the dust with three goals (that power-play bit included) and five assists in seven games, but there are traces of the infectiously joyous Ovi before things got a little moodier in Washington.
Ovechkin’s KHL numbers could start piling up if his shooting percentage climbs. He’s already registered 41 shots on goal in those seven contests, showing the trigger-happy tendencies that made him so dangerous in his best stretches.
Since putting up an astonishing 528 shots on goal in 2008-09, he’s been more gun-shy in each season, dipping to a career-low 303 last season.
That’s still a ton of attempts for a normal player, but Ovechkin’s aim isn’t to be normal.
Perhaps a palate cleanser overseas might just change his trajectory, then. (If he comes back to the NHL, of course.)
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)