Oct 7, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
The next CBA meetings are likely to take place this coming Wednesday or Thursday, Pierre LeBrun reports. We won’t know for sure until the NHL and NHLPA finalize that schedule on Monday, however.
Earlier today, Tom Gulitti reported that the two sides communicated, though the extent of the conversation is unclear.
The timing for potential meetings is interesting since Thursday (Oct. 11) would have opened up the 2012-13 regular season if not for the lockout.
(That fact already prompted people like Elliotte Friedman to imagine an alternate reality without a work stoppage.)
While it’s difficult to tell if there have been significant gains or mere baby steps, this weekend has carried a mild sense of optimism.
Two high-ranking members from each side met quietly on Friday, even leading to rumors that the reps might have been throwing around the word “compromise.”
Sure, players such as Sidney Crosby seem less optimistic than before while guys like Karl Alzner are almost admitting defeat, but the latest news cycle sure beats the spin control following regular season games being canceled.
There’s even word that the NHLPA might cook up another revised proposal.
Ultimately, we’ll just need to wait and see if this week provides a pivotal moment or just another week of hard feelings and speculation.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 16
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)