Oct 7, 2012, 10:58 PM EDT
The next CBA meetings are likely to take place this coming Wednesday or Thursday, Pierre LeBrun reports. We won’t know for sure until the NHL and NHLPA finalize that schedule on Monday, however.
Earlier today, Tom Gulitti reported that the two sides communicated, though the extent of the conversation is unclear.
The timing for potential meetings is interesting since Thursday (Oct. 11) would have opened up the 2012-13 regular season if not for the lockout.
(That fact already prompted people like Elliotte Friedman to imagine an alternate reality without a work stoppage.)
While it’s difficult to tell if there have been significant gains or mere baby steps, this weekend has carried a mild sense of optimism.
Two high-ranking members from each side met quietly on Friday, even leading to rumors that the reps might have been throwing around the word “compromise.”
Sure, players such as Sidney Crosby seem less optimistic than before while guys like Karl Alzner are almost admitting defeat, but the latest news cycle sure beats the spin control following regular season games being canceled.
There’s even word that the NHLPA might cook up another revised proposal.
Ultimately, we’ll just need to wait and see if this week provides a pivotal moment or just another week of hard feelings and speculation.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)