Oct 7, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Alexander Burmistrov is a player the Winnipeg Jets hope can live up to his potential and the lockout might turn into the best thing for him.
Thanks to the owners and players duking it out, Burmistrov gets a free pass to play in the AHL with the Jets’ AHL affiliate, the St. John’s IceCaps. While his NHL career to this point has been rocky, he tells the Winnipeg Sun he wants to get things done in the minors.
“You know what, it’s a great level. It’s good competition for me,” said Burmistrov. “I hope this will help me be better and better. For myself, I have to score some goals, get some assists for my linemates and my goal is to try and help the team win games.”
Burmistrov is the lone NHL guy set to play in the AHL and the Jets are fortunate he’s not on an NHL-only contract or else he’d likely be in the KHL by now. If he can get his game straightened out, the Jets’ offense will get a much needed boost.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 20
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 11
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 41
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)