Oct 7, 2012, 1:30 PM EDT
Alexander Burmistrov is a player the Winnipeg Jets hope can live up to his potential and the lockout might turn into the best thing for him.
Thanks to the owners and players duking it out, Burmistrov gets a free pass to play in the AHL with the Jets’ AHL affiliate, the St. John’s IceCaps. While his NHL career to this point has been rocky, he tells the Winnipeg Sun he wants to get things done in the minors.
“You know what, it’s a great level. It’s good competition for me,” said Burmistrov. “I hope this will help me be better and better. For myself, I have to score some goals, get some assists for my linemates and my goal is to try and help the team win games.”
Burmistrov is the lone NHL guy set to play in the AHL and the Jets are fortunate he’s not on an NHL-only contract or else he’d likely be in the KHL by now. If he can get his game straightened out, the Jets’ offense will get a much needed boost.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)