Oct 6, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Signings overseas aren’t exactly flying down the pipe these days and the names headed over aren’t always marquee guys. Here’s a handful of guys that decided to take their games to Europe.
Kings’ Martinez off to Finland
Alec Martinez signed a deal with Turku of the SM-liiga in Finland. Martinez has spent the last two seasons as a steady third-pair defenseman for the Kings and was helpful in earning the team the Stanley Cup in June. He had six goals and six assists in 61 games last year for L.A.
Wolski signs with Polish team
Wolski has had his ups and downs in the NHL playing hot off the bat and then winding up a shootout stud before becoming a healthy scratch. He signed with Washington this summer as a replacement for Alexander Semin.
Jeffrey is first NHL player in The Netherlands
Bet you didn’t know there was a pro hockey league in Holland, did you? There is and Penguins forward Dustin Jeffrey is headed there to play for Tilburg in the Dutch Eredivisie. The Penguins’ depth forward has shown flashes of brilliance as a fourth liner in the NHL but has yet to fully establish himself. He had four goals and two assists last season for Pittsburgh in 26 games.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 4
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 15
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 8
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)