Oct 6, 2012, 12:05 PM EST
Signings overseas aren’t exactly flying down the pipe these days and the names headed over aren’t always marquee guys. Here’s a handful of guys that decided to take their games to Europe.
Kings’ Martinez off to Finland
Alec Martinez signed a deal with Turku of the SM-liiga in Finland. Martinez has spent the last two seasons as a steady third-pair defenseman for the Kings and was helpful in earning the team the Stanley Cup in June. He had six goals and six assists in 61 games last year for L.A.
Wolski signs with Polish team
Wolski has had his ups and downs in the NHL playing hot off the bat and then winding up a shootout stud before becoming a healthy scratch. He signed with Washington this summer as a replacement for Alexander Semin.
Jeffrey is first NHL player in The Netherlands
Bet you didn’t know there was a pro hockey league in Holland, did you? There is and Penguins forward Dustin Jeffrey is headed there to play for Tilburg in the Dutch Eredivisie. The Penguins’ depth forward has shown flashes of brilliance as a fourth liner in the NHL but has yet to fully establish himself. He had four goals and two assists last season for Pittsburgh in 26 games.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 132
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (135)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)