Oct 6, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Signings overseas aren’t exactly flying down the pipe these days and the names headed over aren’t always marquee guys. Here’s a handful of guys that decided to take their games to Europe.
Kings’ Martinez off to Finland
Alec Martinez signed a deal with Turku of the SM-liiga in Finland. Martinez has spent the last two seasons as a steady third-pair defenseman for the Kings and was helpful in earning the team the Stanley Cup in June. He had six goals and six assists in 61 games last year for L.A.
Wolski signs with Polish team
Wolski has had his ups and downs in the NHL playing hot off the bat and then winding up a shootout stud before becoming a healthy scratch. He signed with Washington this summer as a replacement for Alexander Semin.
Jeffrey is first NHL player in The Netherlands
Bet you didn’t know there was a pro hockey league in Holland, did you? There is and Penguins forward Dustin Jeffrey is headed there to play for Tilburg in the Dutch Eredivisie. The Penguins’ depth forward has shown flashes of brilliance as a fourth liner in the NHL but has yet to fully establish himself. He had four goals and two assists last season for Pittsburgh in 26 games.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)