Oct 6, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Signings overseas aren’t exactly flying down the pipe these days and the names headed over aren’t always marquee guys. Here’s a handful of guys that decided to take their games to Europe.
Kings’ Martinez off to Finland
Alec Martinez signed a deal with Turku of the SM-liiga in Finland. Martinez has spent the last two seasons as a steady third-pair defenseman for the Kings and was helpful in earning the team the Stanley Cup in June. He had six goals and six assists in 61 games last year for L.A.
Wolski signs with Polish team
Wolski has had his ups and downs in the NHL playing hot off the bat and then winding up a shootout stud before becoming a healthy scratch. He signed with Washington this summer as a replacement for Alexander Semin.
Jeffrey is first NHL player in The Netherlands
Bet you didn’t know there was a pro hockey league in Holland, did you? There is and Penguins forward Dustin Jeffrey is headed there to play for Tilburg in the Dutch Eredivisie. The Penguins’ depth forward has shown flashes of brilliance as a fourth liner in the NHL but has yet to fully establish himself. He had four goals and two assists last season for Pittsburgh in 26 games.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)