Oct 6, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT
Signings overseas aren’t exactly flying down the pipe these days and the names headed over aren’t always marquee guys. Here’s a handful of guys that decided to take their games to Europe.
Kings’ Martinez off to Finland
Alec Martinez signed a deal with Turku of the SM-liiga in Finland. Martinez has spent the last two seasons as a steady third-pair defenseman for the Kings and was helpful in earning the team the Stanley Cup in June. He had six goals and six assists in 61 games last year for L.A.
Wolski signs with Polish team
Wolski has had his ups and downs in the NHL playing hot off the bat and then winding up a shootout stud before becoming a healthy scratch. He signed with Washington this summer as a replacement for Alexander Semin.
Jeffrey is first NHL player in The Netherlands
Bet you didn’t know there was a pro hockey league in Holland, did you? There is and Penguins forward Dustin Jeffrey is headed there to play for Tilburg in the Dutch Eredivisie. The Penguins’ depth forward has shown flashes of brilliance as a fourth liner in the NHL but has yet to fully establish himself. He had four goals and two assists last season for Pittsburgh in 26 games.
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)