Oct 6, 2012, 8:35 PM EST
Defenseman Matt Gilroy is back with the New York Rangers organization, although at the moment he’s only officially a member of the Connecticut Whale, according to Larry Brooks.
(If you need a brief lockout diversion, click on this link and enjoy the semantic argument over the term “prodigal.”)
As Brooks notes, it wouldn’t be shocking if Gilroy signs with the big club once the lockout ends.
While the Rangers seem to have their top-four defensemen covered, some believe their depth is questionable.
Gilroy spent chunks of two seasons with the Rangers before bouncing from the Tampa Bay Lightning to the Ottawa Senators in 2011-12. He registered his best statistical work last season, putting up a career-high 17 assists and 20 points.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (70)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)