Oct 6, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Former Blues president John Davidson is finally free to look for other work but it sounds like he’s got a crush on Columbus.
“If (my next stop) is Columbus,” Davidson said, “I can tell you this: That hockey club is better than the one we took over in St. Louis. That club was way, way down the ladder. But this Blue Jackets team is not that far off. There are some pieces there to work with, absolutely. They’ve got some real players there.”
Apparently no one told J.D. they traded Rick Nash to the Rangers.
In all seriousness, there’s hope for the future in Columbus with youngsters Ryan Murray and Boone Jenner (who’s tearing up junior hockey so far) on the way and hope to see Sergei Bobrovsky seize the starting job in goal while Ryan Johansen, Derick Brassard, R.J. Umberger, and Brandon Dubinsky take charge up front.
Saying the Jackets are better off now than where the Blues were though… Them’s potentially fighting words for a division rival.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 23
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 16
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 44
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 55
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)