Oct 5, 2012, 3:56 PM EDT
You can picture the surprise today with the news John Shannon of Sportsnet broke reporting that Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and the Fehr brothers, Donald and Steve, all met quietly in Toronto. Daly was straight to the point saying, “Yes we had a meeting. Nothing else to report at this time.”
Daly tells Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com a bit more about what they discussed.
“General discussion of where we were and how to try to move process forward from here. We talked about possibly scheduling some meetings for next week, but mostly to deal with the other issues.”
While it’s just a meeting, yesterday’s tough talk from both sides made it feel like it would be a while before the two sides chatted again. Seeing them get together today can only be seen as a positive sign.
With the trust being so seemingly fractured between the owners and players, baby steps like these are encouraging especially when they could just not talk at all instead.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)