Oct 5, 2012, 3:56 PM EST
You can picture the surprise today with the news John Shannon of Sportsnet broke reporting that Gary Bettman, Bill Daly and the Fehr brothers, Donald and Steve, all met quietly in Toronto. Daly was straight to the point saying, “Yes we had a meeting. Nothing else to report at this time.”
Daly tells Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly.com a bit more about what they discussed.
“General discussion of where we were and how to try to move process forward from here. We talked about possibly scheduling some meetings for next week, but mostly to deal with the other issues.”
While it’s just a meeting, yesterday’s tough talk from both sides made it feel like it would be a while before the two sides chatted again. Seeing them get together today can only be seen as a positive sign.
With the trust being so seemingly fractured between the owners and players, baby steps like these are encouraging especially when they could just not talk at all instead.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 25
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 2
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)