Oct 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
It’s a homecoming of sorts for Sharks goalie Antti Niemi during the lockout.
Niemi signed a one-month contract to play for Pelicans Lahti (link in Finnish) in the SM-liiga in Finland during the lockout according to the team website.
For Niemi he returns, albeit briefly, to the team he got his professional start with back in 2005-06. It was there he proved his worth to the Chicago Blackhawks who signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2008. Two years later he was leading Chicago to their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
Niemi has been with the Sharks the past two seasons after not being re-signed by Chicago after winning the Cup.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)