Oct 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
It’s a homecoming of sorts for Sharks goalie Antti Niemi during the lockout.
Niemi signed a one-month contract to play for Pelicans Lahti (link in Finnish) in the SM-liiga in Finland during the lockout according to the team website.
For Niemi he returns, albeit briefly, to the team he got his professional start with back in 2005-06. It was there he proved his worth to the Chicago Blackhawks who signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2008. Two years later he was leading Chicago to their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
Niemi has been with the Sharks the past two seasons after not being re-signed by Chicago after winning the Cup.
- Quick strike: Lightning steal Game 3 with last-second goal 0
- 2015 Jack Adams Award finalists: Hartley, Laviolette, Vigneault 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Canada fights back to beat Sweden at worlds 18
- NHL hockey ops explains no-goal call 43
- Jack Adams Award finalists to be announced tonight 4
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 10
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 15
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 53
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ (66)
- Lundqvist thinks Backstrom’s hit caused Rangers to lose focus before game-winning goal (63)