Oct 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EST
It’s a homecoming of sorts for Sharks goalie Antti Niemi during the lockout.
Niemi signed a one-month contract to play for Pelicans Lahti (link in Finnish) in the SM-liiga in Finland during the lockout according to the team website.
For Niemi he returns, albeit briefly, to the team he got his professional start with back in 2005-06. It was there he proved his worth to the Chicago Blackhawks who signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2008. Two years later he was leading Chicago to their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
Niemi has been with the Sharks the past two seasons after not being re-signed by Chicago after winning the Cup.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 148
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 117
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (148)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (117)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)