Oct 5, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
It’s a homecoming of sorts for Sharks goalie Antti Niemi during the lockout.
Niemi signed a one-month contract to play for Pelicans Lahti (link in Finnish) in the SM-liiga in Finland during the lockout according to the team website.
For Niemi he returns, albeit briefly, to the team he got his professional start with back in 2005-06. It was there he proved his worth to the Chicago Blackhawks who signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2008. Two years later he was leading Chicago to their first Stanley Cup since 1961.
Niemi has been with the Sharks the past two seasons after not being re-signed by Chicago after winning the Cup.
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 9
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 2
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 44
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 36
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- Writer: NHL playoffs are ‘annoying’ 77
- Blackhawks look to end current Game 3 curse 4
- Bruins’ leaders deliver Stanley Cup Final speech 14
- Report: NHL has Seattle plan ready for Coyotes 64
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- PHT: Bruins' little wins pay off big in Game 3
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury