Oct 5, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
When it comes to labor battles, the big thing everyone talks about for both sides is “solidarity.” For the players’ union in the past that’s been an issue, meanwhile the owners voted unanimously for a lockout.
San Jose’s Dan Boyle isn’t buying the owners’ united front, however.
Boyle tells Kevin Kurz of CSNBayArea.com he believes there are more owners than not that aren’t happy with the lockout and want a settlement sooner rather than later.
“I think when players make comments, sometimes it’s directed towards 30 owners, but I think a lot of us feel that it’s not across the board. It’s a certain group of teams that are controlling 30 others,” Boyle said.
“It doesn’t make any sense to me that eight teams can control the fate of 22 other ones.”
Boyle isn’t alone in feeling this way as Kings’ forward Kevin Westgarth tells Danny Picard from “I’m Just Sayin’” there’s 21 teams that would go for the NHLPA’s offer.
The chances there’s a faction of owners who would rather be playing than fighting the players are pretty good. After all, you’ve got plenty of owners that love making money rather than not. That said, they all voted unanimously to lock out the players. Peer pressure can be bad that way.
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 9
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 27
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 42
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)