Oct 5, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Jets captain Andrew Ladd was all set to sign a deal with Avangard Omsk in the KHL to play there during the lockout. A funny thing happened along the way to the tarmac: Ladd’s wife found out she was pregnant with their first child.
As Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press heard it from Ladd, it was a sudden turn of events that made him want to stay at home during the lockout.
“But the more we thought about it, the more I decided to change my mind,” Ladd said. “My wife is pregnant and I couldn’t really justify leaving her by herself. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I didn’t want to leave.”
That should make women everywhere swoon just a little bit. Ladd said he was tempted to go play in Russia for a short time and be back either by the time things were settled or before his wife was due, but said he didn’t want to miss out on anything.
I think we found the early leader for Winnipeg’s “husband of the year” award.
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 34
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 9
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 28