Oct 5, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Jets captain Andrew Ladd was all set to sign a deal with Avangard Omsk in the KHL to play there during the lockout. A funny thing happened along the way to the tarmac: Ladd’s wife found out she was pregnant with their first child.
As Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press heard it from Ladd, it was a sudden turn of events that made him want to stay at home during the lockout.
“But the more we thought about it, the more I decided to change my mind,” Ladd said. “My wife is pregnant and I couldn’t really justify leaving her by herself. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I didn’t want to leave.”
That should make women everywhere swoon just a little bit. Ladd said he was tempted to go play in Russia for a short time and be back either by the time things were settled or before his wife was due, but said he didn’t want to miss out on anything.
I think we found the early leader for Winnipeg’s “husband of the year” award.
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 82
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 75
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (85)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (76)
- Poll: Will Kessel score 40? (38)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (38)