Oct 5, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Jets captain Andrew Ladd was all set to sign a deal with Avangard Omsk in the KHL to play there during the lockout. A funny thing happened along the way to the tarmac: Ladd’s wife found out she was pregnant with their first child.
As Ed Tait of the Winnipeg Free Press heard it from Ladd, it was a sudden turn of events that made him want to stay at home during the lockout.
“But the more we thought about it, the more I decided to change my mind,” Ladd said. “My wife is pregnant and I couldn’t really justify leaving her by herself. The more I thought about it, the more I thought I didn’t want to leave.”
That should make women everywhere swoon just a little bit. Ladd said he was tempted to go play in Russia for a short time and be back either by the time things were settled or before his wife was due, but said he didn’t want to miss out on anything.
I think we found the early leader for Winnipeg’s “husband of the year” award.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 6
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 4
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 52
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)