Oct 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Backlund has decided to join Vasteras IK, according to the team’s website. He spent years with Vasteras IK before making the transition to North American hockey.
They’re currently playing in the HockeyAllsvenskan, which is the second tier of Swedish hockey.
Backlund had four goals and 11 points in 41 games last season, but the Flames are hoping that he’s capable of more. When Flames GM Jay Feaster re-signed him, Feaster said Backlund had “an opportunity to step up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club.”
Presumably he’ll still get a chance to fight for that spot when the lockout ends.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 12
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 25
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)