Oct 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Backlund has decided to join Vasteras IK, according to the team’s website. He spent years with Vasteras IK before making the transition to North American hockey.
They’re currently playing in the HockeyAllsvenskan, which is the second tier of Swedish hockey.
Backlund had four goals and 11 points in 41 games last season, but the Flames are hoping that he’s capable of more. When Flames GM Jay Feaster re-signed him, Feaster said Backlund had “an opportunity to step up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club.”
Presumably he’ll still get a chance to fight for that spot when the lockout ends.
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 21
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 13
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 10
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 86
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 40
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 64
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)