Oct 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Backlund has decided to join Vasteras IK, according to the team’s website. He spent years with Vasteras IK before making the transition to North American hockey.
They’re currently playing in the HockeyAllsvenskan, which is the second tier of Swedish hockey.
Backlund had four goals and 11 points in 41 games last season, but the Flames are hoping that he’s capable of more. When Flames GM Jay Feaster re-signed him, Feaster said Backlund had “an opportunity to step up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club.”
Presumably he’ll still get a chance to fight for that spot when the lockout ends.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 56
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)