Oct 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EST
Backlund has decided to join Vasteras IK, according to the team’s website. He spent years with Vasteras IK before making the transition to North American hockey.
They’re currently playing in the HockeyAllsvenskan, which is the second tier of Swedish hockey.
Backlund had four goals and 11 points in 41 games last season, but the Flames are hoping that he’s capable of more. When Flames GM Jay Feaster re-signed him, Feaster said Backlund had “an opportunity to step up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club.”
Presumably he’ll still get a chance to fight for that spot when the lockout ends.
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 1
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 7
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 38
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)