Oct 4, 2012, 9:37 PM EDT
Backlund has decided to join Vasteras IK, according to the team’s website. He spent years with Vasteras IK before making the transition to North American hockey.
They’re currently playing in the HockeyAllsvenskan, which is the second tier of Swedish hockey.
Backlund had four goals and 11 points in 41 games last season, but the Flames are hoping that he’s capable of more. When Flames GM Jay Feaster re-signed him, Feaster said Backlund had “an opportunity to step up and attempt to secure a top two-line center position with our club.”
Presumably he’ll still get a chance to fight for that spot when the lockout ends.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)