Oct 4, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Chris Botta of Sports Business Daily reports the speedy Islanders winger will play for his hometown team EC VSV Villach. The team’s website touts Grabner’s arrival thanks to donations from sponsors to help pay the insurance on his NHL contract.
In case you’ve forgotten thanks to the glut of lockout news, Grabner fast skating and breakaway skills turned him into a star for the Isles scoring 39 goals two seasons ago and 20 more last year.
Grabner joins Nodl and Thomas Vanek as NHLers in Austria. Conveniently enough, that’s the home country for all of them.
- Comparing the shot differentials of all 30 teams 2
- PHT interviews Jim Nill, who’s ‘not surprised’ by Stars’ early-season struggles 1
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 3
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 8
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 22
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 5
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21