Oct 4, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Chris Botta of Sports Business Daily reports the speedy Islanders winger will play for his hometown team EC VSV Villach. The team’s website touts Grabner’s arrival thanks to donations from sponsors to help pay the insurance on his NHL contract.
In case you’ve forgotten thanks to the glut of lockout news, Grabner fast skating and breakaway skills turned him into a star for the Isles scoring 39 goals two seasons ago and 20 more last year.
Grabner joins Nodl and Thomas Vanek as NHLers in Austria. Conveniently enough, that’s the home country for all of them.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)