Oct 4, 2012, 11:30 AM EDT
Chris Botta of Sports Business Daily reports the speedy Islanders winger will play for his hometown team EC VSV Villach. The team’s website touts Grabner’s arrival thanks to donations from sponsors to help pay the insurance on his NHL contract.
In case you’ve forgotten thanks to the glut of lockout news, Grabner fast skating and breakaway skills turned him into a star for the Isles scoring 39 goals two seasons ago and 20 more last year.
Grabner joins Nodl and Thomas Vanek as NHLers in Austria. Conveniently enough, that’s the home country for all of them.
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 14
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29