Oct 4, 2012, 11:30 AM EST
Chris Botta of Sports Business Daily reports the speedy Islanders winger will play for his hometown team EC VSV Villach. The team’s website touts Grabner’s arrival thanks to donations from sponsors to help pay the insurance on his NHL contract.
In case you’ve forgotten thanks to the glut of lockout news, Grabner fast skating and breakaway skills turned him into a star for the Isles scoring 39 goals two seasons ago and 20 more last year.
Grabner joins Nodl and Thomas Vanek as NHLers in Austria. Conveniently enough, that’s the home country for all of them.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 10
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 27
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)