Oct 4, 2012, 2:56 PM EST
With the first two weeks of the schedule now canceled, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly is facing the music over the league’s labor situation.
Daly tells Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post he’s “extremely disappointed” in having to carve up the schedule.
“Certainly, the hope continues to be that we will have a breakthrough at some point and that the rest can fall into place quickly,” said Daly. “We will see.”
“If we reach a deal, we will be looking to reconfigure schedule in a way that would maximize season consistent with health and safety concerns for the players,” he said.
The hopes of seeing the two sides come to an agreement anytime soon, however, seem dim. They may not meet again until next week and the chances we’ll see more games canceled, and possibly lost for good, grow by the day.
Update (4:48 p.m. ET): Daly released his own statement on today’s development.
“We were extremely disappointed to have to make today’s announcement. The game deserves better, the fans deserve better and the people who derive income from their connection to the NHL deserve better.
“We remain committed to doing everything in our power to forge an agreement that is fair to the players, fair to the teams and good for our fans.
“This is not about ‘winning’ or ‘losing’ a negotiation. This is about finding a solution that preserves the long-term health and stability of the League and the game.”
“We are committed to getting this done.”
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 16
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 28
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 20
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 53
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 52
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 58
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 16
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)