Oct 4, 2012, 2:56 PM EDT
With the first two weeks of the schedule now canceled, NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly is facing the music over the league’s labor situation.
Daly tells Sean Fitz-Gerald of The National Post he’s “extremely disappointed” in having to carve up the schedule.
“Certainly, the hope continues to be that we will have a breakthrough at some point and that the rest can fall into place quickly,” said Daly. “We will see.”
“If we reach a deal, we will be looking to reconfigure schedule in a way that would maximize season consistent with health and safety concerns for the players,” he said.
The hopes of seeing the two sides come to an agreement anytime soon, however, seem dim. They may not meet again until next week and the chances we’ll see more games canceled, and possibly lost for good, grow by the day.
Update (4:48 p.m. ET): Daly released his own statement on today’s development.
“We were extremely disappointed to have to make today’s announcement. The game deserves better, the fans deserve better and the people who derive income from their connection to the NHL deserve better.
“We remain committed to doing everything in our power to forge an agreement that is fair to the players, fair to the teams and good for our fans.
“This is not about ‘winning’ or ‘losing’ a negotiation. This is about finding a solution that preserves the long-term health and stability of the League and the game.”
“We are committed to getting this done.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)