Oct 3, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
Wandell, 25, was believed to be in talks with Sodertalje SK — the team he represented at both the junior and senior levels before coming to North America — but opted to head to Russia and join a Severstal club that finished a disappointing 11th in the KHL a season ago.
The signing is a big score for Severstal. Wandell’s emerged as a solid bottom-six forward for the Stars over the last two seasons and tied a career-high with 15 points last year, before signing a one-year, $892,500 extension in July.
In Cherepovets, Wandell will be joined by a pair of Swedish countrymen: Niclas Andersen and Niclas Bergfors, the latter a five-year NHL veteran with New Jersey, Florida and Nashville.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 0
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 4
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 17
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53