Oct 3, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
Wandell, 25, was believed to be in talks with Sodertalje SK — the team he represented at both the junior and senior levels before coming to North America — but opted to head to Russia and join a Severstal club that finished a disappointing 11th in the KHL a season ago.
The signing is a big score for Severstal. Wandell’s emerged as a solid bottom-six forward for the Stars over the last two seasons and tied a career-high with 15 points last year, before signing a one-year, $892,500 extension in July.
In Cherepovets, Wandell will be joined by a pair of Swedish countrymen: Niclas Andersen and Niclas Bergfors, the latter a five-year NHL veteran with New Jersey, Florida and Nashville.
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 1
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 8
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 31
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 24
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)