Oct 3, 2012, 4:50 PM EST
Wandell, 25, was believed to be in talks with Sodertalje SK — the team he represented at both the junior and senior levels before coming to North America — but opted to head to Russia and join a Severstal club that finished a disappointing 11th in the KHL a season ago.
The signing is a big score for Severstal. Wandell’s emerged as a solid bottom-six forward for the Stars over the last two seasons and tied a career-high with 15 points last year, before signing a one-year, $892,500 extension in July.
In Cherepovets, Wandell will be joined by a pair of Swedish countrymen: Niclas Andersen and Niclas Bergfors, the latter a five-year NHL veteran with New Jersey, Florida and Nashville.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 49
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 27
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 76
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (76)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)