Oct 3, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
Wandell, 25, was believed to be in talks with Sodertalje SK — the team he represented at both the junior and senior levels before coming to North America — but opted to head to Russia and join a Severstal club that finished a disappointing 11th in the KHL a season ago.
The signing is a big score for Severstal. Wandell’s emerged as a solid bottom-six forward for the Stars over the last two seasons and tied a career-high with 15 points last year, before signing a one-year, $892,500 extension in July.
In Cherepovets, Wandell will be joined by a pair of Swedish countrymen: Niclas Andersen and Niclas Bergfors, the latter a five-year NHL veteran with New Jersey, Florida and Nashville.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 9
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 6
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)