Oct 3, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound like John Davidson will be out of work for long.
Less than a week removed from his president of hockey operations job with the St. Louis Blues, Davidson’s name has popped up for a number of potential gigs including — according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch — a job with the Blue Jackets.
From the Dispatch:
The desperate need for clout and “resume” at the highest reaches of the Blue Jackets’ organization has been well-chronicled, in this space and others.
Said one long-time NHL executive, when asked if Davidson would be a good fit in Columbus: “Oh, my, yes. He’d be perfect. Everything, with every team, starts at the top.”
J.D.’s resume is loaded with accomplishments. He took over as the president of St. Louis’ hockey operations after a disastrous 2005-06 season (the Blues were the worst team in hockey, with 57 points) and turned things around.
In his third season on the job, the Blues finished with 92 points and their first playoff appearance post-lockout. Last season, the Blues went 49-22-11 and captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years (granted, much credit went to GM of the Year Doug Armstrong .)
The St. Louis rebuild has put Davidson in a good spot. He interviewed with Columbus owner John P. McConnell and president Mike Priest back in May, but has also been linked to a front office position Calgary and any number of television gigs.
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)