Oct 3, 2012, 2:00 PM EST
It doesn’t sound like John Davidson will be out of work for long.
Less than a week removed from his president of hockey operations job with the St. Louis Blues, Davidson’s name has popped up for a number of potential gigs including — according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch — a job with the Blue Jackets.
From the Dispatch:
The desperate need for clout and “resume” at the highest reaches of the Blue Jackets’ organization has been well-chronicled, in this space and others.
Said one long-time NHL executive, when asked if Davidson would be a good fit in Columbus: “Oh, my, yes. He’d be perfect. Everything, with every team, starts at the top.”
J.D.’s resume is loaded with accomplishments. He took over as the president of St. Louis’ hockey operations after a disastrous 2005-06 season (the Blues were the worst team in hockey, with 57 points) and turned things around.
In his third season on the job, the Blues finished with 92 points and their first playoff appearance post-lockout. Last season, the Blues went 49-22-11 and captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years (granted, much credit went to GM of the Year Doug Armstrong .)
The St. Louis rebuild has put Davidson in a good spot. He interviewed with Columbus owner John P. McConnell and president Mike Priest back in May, but has also been linked to a front office position Calgary and any number of television gigs.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)