Oct 3, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound like John Davidson will be out of work for long.
Less than a week removed from his president of hockey operations job with the St. Louis Blues, Davidson’s name has popped up for a number of potential gigs including — according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch — a job with the Blue Jackets.
From the Dispatch:
The desperate need for clout and “resume” at the highest reaches of the Blue Jackets’ organization has been well-chronicled, in this space and others.
Said one long-time NHL executive, when asked if Davidson would be a good fit in Columbus: “Oh, my, yes. He’d be perfect. Everything, with every team, starts at the top.”
J.D.’s resume is loaded with accomplishments. He took over as the president of St. Louis’ hockey operations after a disastrous 2005-06 season (the Blues were the worst team in hockey, with 57 points) and turned things around.
In his third season on the job, the Blues finished with 92 points and their first playoff appearance post-lockout. Last season, the Blues went 49-22-11 and captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years (granted, much credit went to GM of the Year Doug Armstrong .)
The St. Louis rebuild has put Davidson in a good spot. He interviewed with Columbus owner John P. McConnell and president Mike Priest back in May, but has also been linked to a front office position Calgary and any number of television gigs.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 16
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)