Oct 3, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound like John Davidson will be out of work for long.
Less than a week removed from his president of hockey operations job with the St. Louis Blues, Davidson’s name has popped up for a number of potential gigs including — according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch — a job with the Blue Jackets.
From the Dispatch:
The desperate need for clout and “resume” at the highest reaches of the Blue Jackets’ organization has been well-chronicled, in this space and others.
Said one long-time NHL executive, when asked if Davidson would be a good fit in Columbus: “Oh, my, yes. He’d be perfect. Everything, with every team, starts at the top.”
J.D.’s resume is loaded with accomplishments. He took over as the president of St. Louis’ hockey operations after a disastrous 2005-06 season (the Blues were the worst team in hockey, with 57 points) and turned things around.
In his third season on the job, the Blues finished with 92 points and their first playoff appearance post-lockout. Last season, the Blues went 49-22-11 and captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years (granted, much credit went to GM of the Year Doug Armstrong .)
The St. Louis rebuild has put Davidson in a good spot. He interviewed with Columbus owner John P. McConnell and president Mike Priest back in May, but has also been linked to a front office position Calgary and any number of television gigs.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)