Oct 3, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound like John Davidson will be out of work for long.
Less than a week removed from his president of hockey operations job with the St. Louis Blues, Davidson’s name has popped up for a number of potential gigs including — according to Aaron Portzline of the Columbus Dispatch — a job with the Blue Jackets.
From the Dispatch:
The desperate need for clout and “resume” at the highest reaches of the Blue Jackets’ organization has been well-chronicled, in this space and others.
Said one long-time NHL executive, when asked if Davidson would be a good fit in Columbus: “Oh, my, yes. He’d be perfect. Everything, with every team, starts at the top.”
J.D.’s resume is loaded with accomplishments. He took over as the president of St. Louis’ hockey operations after a disastrous 2005-06 season (the Blues were the worst team in hockey, with 57 points) and turned things around.
In his third season on the job, the Blues finished with 92 points and their first playoff appearance post-lockout. Last season, the Blues went 49-22-11 and captured their first Central Division crown in 12 years (granted, much credit went to GM of the Year Doug Armstrong .)
The St. Louis rebuild has put Davidson in a good spot. He interviewed with Columbus owner John P. McConnell and president Mike Priest back in May, but has also been linked to a front office position Calgary and any number of television gigs.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 22
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 51
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris