Oct 3, 2012, 4:15 PM EST
The operators of Nassau Coliseum, the home of the New York Islanders, are facing $88,000 in fines after being cited for 16 “serious violations” by the U.S. Labor Department’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
According to the OSHA, “Investigators found that maintenance workers and electricians were exposed to asbestos or materials potentially containing asbestos while working in various locations – including the coliseum’s ice plant, catwalks and a loading dock – and that SMG did not take adequate steps to address the hazards.”
The OSHA also says it found “inadequately lighted exit routes, inoperable emergency lighting, lights not guarded against damage, defective forklifts, unsecured liquefied petroleum gas containers, electrical circuits not locked out and unguarded open-sided floors.”
SMG, the company that manages the Coliseum, says it will contest the citation and that the asbestos issues have been dealt with, as per the Associated Press.
In a related story, the Islanders still need a new arena.
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 56
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 30
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 7
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)