Oct 3, 2012, 4:15 PM EDT
The operators of Nassau Coliseum, the home of the New York Islanders, are facing $88,000 in fines after being cited for 16 “serious violations” by the U.S. Labor Department’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
According to the OSHA, “Investigators found that maintenance workers and electricians were exposed to asbestos or materials potentially containing asbestos while working in various locations – including the coliseum’s ice plant, catwalks and a loading dock – and that SMG did not take adequate steps to address the hazards.”
The OSHA also says it found “inadequately lighted exit routes, inoperable emergency lighting, lights not guarded against damage, defective forklifts, unsecured liquefied petroleum gas containers, electrical circuits not locked out and unguarded open-sided floors.”
SMG, the company that manages the Coliseum, says it will contest the citation and that the asbestos issues have been dealt with, as per the Associated Press.
In a related story, the Islanders still need a new arena.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)