Oct 3, 2012, 9:40 PM EST
Lauri Korpikoski has agreed to join TPS Turku in the Finnish SM-liiga, according to Matias Strozyk. He previously played with them as recently as 2005-06 before making his North American debut with the AHL Hartford Wolf Pack.
Korpikoski had 17 goals and 37 points in 82 games with the Phoenix Coyotes last season and he’s under contract for the 2012-13 campaign. However, Korpikoski’s situation might be a little different than most locked-out NHLers that have found employment in Europe.
Strozyk reported that Korpikoski will spend the whole season with TPS if the union and league haven’t reached a CBA agreement by the end of SM-liiga’s November break.
After being taken with the 19th overall pick by the New York Rangers in 2004, Korpikoski has gone on to record 102 points in 300 career NHL games.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)