Oct 3, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
The NHL’s reigning rookie of the year is going to play abroad.
That’s the news out of Sweden today as second division (Allsvenskan) outfit Djugardens has signed Gabriel Landeskog to a two-month deal.
News of the signing was confirmed to ESPN by Landeskog’s agent, Peter Wallen.
With Djugardens, Landeskog will join San Jose Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray, ex-Nashville farmhand Chet Pickard and Pontus Aberg, the 37th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft (taken by Nashville.)
The move also represents a homecoming for the 19-year-old Swede, who played his junior hockey for Djugardens and briefly represented the senior team before jumping to OHL Kitchener in 2009-10.
Landeskog scored 22G-30A-52PTS with the Avs in his freshman campaign, beating out Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and New Jersey’s Adam Henrique for the Calder Trophy.
In early September, he succeeded Milan Hejduk to become the fourth captain in Colorado Avalanche history — making him the youngest captain in NHL history (11 days younger than Sidney Crosby when he became Pittsburgh’s captain.)
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)