Oct 3, 2012, 10:32 AM EDT
The NHL’s reigning rookie of the year is going to play abroad.
That’s the news out of Sweden today as second division (Allsvenskan) outfit Djugardens has signed Gabriel Landeskog to a two-month deal.
News of the signing was confirmed to ESPN by Landeskog’s agent, Peter Wallen.
With Djugardens, Landeskog will join San Jose Sharks defenseman Douglas Murray, ex-Nashville farmhand Chet Pickard and Pontus Aberg, the 37th overall pick at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft (taken by Nashville.)
The move also represents a homecoming for the 19-year-old Swede, who played his junior hockey for Djugardens and briefly represented the senior team before jumping to OHL Kitchener in 2009-10.
Landeskog scored 22G-30A-52PTS with the Avs in his freshman campaign, beating out Edmonton’s Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and New Jersey’s Adam Henrique for the Calder Trophy.
In early September, he succeeded Milan Hejduk to become the fourth captain in Colorado Avalanche history — making him the youngest captain in NHL history (11 days younger than Sidney Crosby when he became Pittsburgh’s captain.)
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 11
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 34
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 72
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 8
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'