Oct 3, 2012, 12:32 PM EDT
If the NHL and NHLPA can’t come to their senses and negotiate an end to the lockout, Ilya Kovalchuk says he’s happy to play the entire season in the KHL.
“I really like it here and if there isn’t a season there, then I’d be delighted to play it out here and try to do it as well as possible.”
Kovalchuk did, however, admit that playing professional hockey in Russia isn’t quite as cushy as what he’s used to as a member of the New Jersey Devils.
“The NHL’s been around for more than a hundred years, but the KHL’s existed for just five,” he said. “In terms of infrastructure there’s something to strive for. If the arenas in all the cities were as good as in St. Pete, then we could talk about something.”
Kovalchuk was set to earn $11 million this year in New Jersey. And unlike many of his superstar brethren who negotiated guaranteed signing bonuses as a form of lockout insurance, he won’t get a penny out of the Devils if there’s no NHL season.
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 23
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 56
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 5
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 46
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 37
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 27
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 20
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 21
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte