Oct 3, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Jiri Hudler‘s time in the KHL has come to an abrupt end.
The Calgary Flames winger has been released by his temporary club, HC Lev Prague, after suffering an abdominal muscle injury.
RIA Novosti reports Hudler missed Lev’s last two games with the ailment and, after being examined by team doctors, was told he could miss up to a month.
“If I don’t treat it now it only gets worse,” Hudler said of the injury. “The pain isn’t unbearable but bothers me. Mainly limits mobility.”
Depending on who you believe, Lev either cut Hudler like a poor man’s cable or he asked to be freed from his contract so he could rest/recuperate and be ready for the start of the NHL season. (He did just sign a four-year, $16 million deal with Calgary, after all.)
The reality, as it often does, probably falls somewhere in the middle.
It served Praha no purpose to waste an “import” spot on a guy that could be out for a month (and then leave the team), and it served Hudler no purpose to stick around Prague when his priorities are in Calgary.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 24
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)