Oct 3, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Jiri Hudler‘s time in the KHL has come to an abrupt end.
The Calgary Flames winger has been released by his temporary club, HC Lev Prague, after suffering an abdominal muscle injury.
RIA Novosti reports Hudler missed Lev’s last two games with the ailment and, after being examined by team doctors, was told he could miss up to a month.
“If I don’t treat it now it only gets worse,” Hudler said of the injury. “The pain isn’t unbearable but bothers me. Mainly limits mobility.”
Depending on who you believe, Lev either cut Hudler like a poor man’s cable or he asked to be freed from his contract so he could rest/recuperate and be ready for the start of the NHL season. (He did just sign a four-year, $16 million deal with Calgary, after all.)
The reality, as it often does, probably falls somewhere in the middle.
It served Praha no purpose to waste an “import” spot on a guy that could be out for a month (and then leave the team), and it served Hudler no purpose to stick around Prague when his priorities are in Calgary.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)