Oct 3, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Jiri Hudler‘s time in the KHL has come to an abrupt end.
The Calgary Flames winger has been released by his temporary club, HC Lev Prague, after suffering an abdominal muscle injury.
RIA Novosti reports Hudler missed Lev’s last two games with the ailment and, after being examined by team doctors, was told he could miss up to a month.
“If I don’t treat it now it only gets worse,” Hudler said of the injury. “The pain isn’t unbearable but bothers me. Mainly limits mobility.”
Depending on who you believe, Lev either cut Hudler like a poor man’s cable or he asked to be freed from his contract so he could rest/recuperate and be ready for the start of the NHL season. (He did just sign a four-year, $16 million deal with Calgary, after all.)
The reality, as it often does, probably falls somewhere in the middle.
It served Praha no purpose to waste an “import” spot on a guy that could be out for a month (and then leave the team), and it served Hudler no purpose to stick around Prague when his priorities are in Calgary.
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 4
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Report: Dal Colle signs with Islanders (Updated) 1
- Bridge built: Blues lock up Schwartz to two-year deal reportedly worth $4.7M 12
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys (28)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)