Oct 3, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Jiri Hudler‘s time in the KHL has come to an abrupt end.
The Calgary Flames winger has been released by his temporary club, HC Lev Prague, after suffering an abdominal muscle injury.
RIA Novosti reports Hudler missed Lev’s last two games with the ailment and, after being examined by team doctors, was told he could miss up to a month.
“If I don’t treat it now it only gets worse,” Hudler said of the injury. “The pain isn’t unbearable but bothers me. Mainly limits mobility.”
Depending on who you believe, Lev either cut Hudler like a poor man’s cable or he asked to be freed from his contract so he could rest/recuperate and be ready for the start of the NHL season. (He did just sign a four-year, $16 million deal with Calgary, after all.)
The reality, as it often does, probably falls somewhere in the middle.
It served Praha no purpose to waste an “import” spot on a guy that could be out for a month (and then leave the team), and it served Hudler no purpose to stick around Prague when his priorities are in Calgary.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 15
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)