Oct 3, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
Markov, 33, said he chose to sign with Vityaz because the club employs many ex-Dynamo Moscow front office staffers — Markov played with Dynamo during the last lockout and starred with the club before joining the Canadiens in 2000.
As for Markov’s new club, Vityaz is best known as one of the toughest and most violent teams in Russia. It currently employs the likes of former Islanders enforcer Trevor Gillies and Jeremy Yablonski, the guy that once did this…to his current teammate, Trevor Gillies:
Last November, Yablonski was suspended for the remainder of the 2011-12 season for this nasty sucker punch.
In terms of real hockey players, Vityaz features ex-AHL scoring sensation Mark Cullen, longtime NHL defenseman Danny Markov and former Sharks winger Alex Korolyuk.
It’ll be interesting to see how Markov fares in the KHL after missing almost all of the last two years with various knee injuries. He appeared in just seven games in 2010-11 and only 13 in 2011-12, though he did manage to record six points in those 20 games.
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54