Oct 3, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
Markov, 33, said he chose to sign with Vityaz because the club employs many ex-Dynamo Moscow front office staffers — Markov played with Dynamo during the last lockout and starred with the club before joining the Canadiens in 2000.
As for Markov’s new club, Vityaz is best known as one of the toughest and most violent teams in Russia. It currently employs the likes of former Islanders enforcer Trevor Gillies and Jeremy Yablonski, the guy that once did this…to his current teammate, Trevor Gillies:
Last November, Yablonski was suspended for the remainder of the 2011-12 season for this nasty sucker punch.
In terms of real hockey players, Vityaz features ex-AHL scoring sensation Mark Cullen, longtime NHL defenseman Danny Markov and former Sharks winger Alex Korolyuk.
It’ll be interesting to see how Markov fares in the KHL after missing almost all of the last two years with various knee injuries. He appeared in just seven games in 2010-11 and only 13 in 2011-12, though he did manage to record six points in those 20 games.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 5
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 20
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)