Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Baertschi told the Flames’ Web site about his offseason goal to add muscle without sacrificing speed.
“You don’t want to get slow, you know?” Baertschi said. “You have to make sure you’re working on everything: speed, skill. All of that.”
The gritty-yet-skilled scorer has reportedly added around 10 lbs. to his frame, so it’ll be interesting to see if anything gets lost in the process.
Baertschi scored three goals in five games at the NHL level while lighting up the WHL (94 points in 47 games) when he wasn’t receiving big-time opportunities. He’s gearing up to jump to the AHL level next season, but he isn’t aiming for specific stats.
“I don’t set certain goals like, ‘I want to score 25 goals,’ – I just want to get better all-around as a hockey player, as a person,” Baertschi said. “When you try to improve your whole game, goals and points, they come. You have to do the little things right.”
Even if you’re not quite as little anymore.
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)