Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Baertschi told the Flames’ Web site about his offseason goal to add muscle without sacrificing speed.
“You don’t want to get slow, you know?” Baertschi said. “You have to make sure you’re working on everything: speed, skill. All of that.”
The gritty-yet-skilled scorer has reportedly added around 10 lbs. to his frame, so it’ll be interesting to see if anything gets lost in the process.
Baertschi scored three goals in five games at the NHL level while lighting up the WHL (94 points in 47 games) when he wasn’t receiving big-time opportunities. He’s gearing up to jump to the AHL level next season, but he isn’t aiming for specific stats.
“I don’t set certain goals like, ‘I want to score 25 goals,’ – I just want to get better all-around as a hockey player, as a person,” Baertschi said. “When you try to improve your whole game, goals and points, they come. You have to do the little things right.”
Even if you’re not quite as little anymore.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)