Oct 2, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Baertschi told the Flames’ Web site about his offseason goal to add muscle without sacrificing speed.
“You don’t want to get slow, you know?” Baertschi said. “You have to make sure you’re working on everything: speed, skill. All of that.”
The gritty-yet-skilled scorer has reportedly added around 10 lbs. to his frame, so it’ll be interesting to see if anything gets lost in the process.
Baertschi scored three goals in five games at the NHL level while lighting up the WHL (94 points in 47 games) when he wasn’t receiving big-time opportunities. He’s gearing up to jump to the AHL level next season, but he isn’t aiming for specific stats.
“I don’t set certain goals like, ‘I want to score 25 goals,’ – I just want to get better all-around as a hockey player, as a person,” Baertschi said. “When you try to improve your whole game, goals and points, they come. You have to do the little things right.”
Even if you’re not quite as little anymore.
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 23
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 21
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 39
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 23
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 53
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)