Oct 2, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
The move puts the 23-year-old in a unique situation — aside from being locked in until December (though he does have an out clause), his bosses for the next couple of months will be fellow NHLers Kimmo Timonen and Scott Hartnell.
The two Flyers own minority shares of the team along with ex-Philly Sami Kapanen, who recently returned to playing after serving as KalPa’s CEO.
(Kapanen, 39, is the team captain and scored 25 points in 35 games last year.)
Prior to signing with KalPa, Smith was one of the benefactors of Sept. 15th’s “quick, let’s sign as many contracts as we can before the CBA expires” extravaganza, scoring a two-year, $4 million deal from the Preds.
It was a significant raise from his entry level deal, one Nashville GM David Poile recognized as a gamble.
“This is a leap of faith, obviously we’re taking his salary up to a significant level after the season. We’re betting that he’s going to be one of our best offensive players,” Poile told The Tennessean. “He has only played one year in the league, but he and Colin Wilson, two young forwards represent for us an area in offense to turn it up a notch”
Smith scored 14G-22A-36PTS in 72 games as a rookie for the Preds last season and participated in the NHL All Star weekend skills competition in Ottawa.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 15
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 48
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 86
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 20
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (86)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games