Krys Barch speaks out after Twitter rant

Oct 2, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT

Krys Barch Getty Images

Krys Barch caught the attention of those following the lockout when he went on a long, alcohol-inspired Twitter rant Saturday night.

His comments, particularly the assertion that he and players like him “will have to work for the next 50 years of their lives” have drawn some criticisms. As the National Post’s Michael Traikos pointed out, Barch made $850,000 last season and signed a $1.5 million deal over the summer. That’s the kind of money most people can only dream of.

After the dust had settled, Barch clarified that his intention wasn’t to seek the pity of the fans, according to the Globe and Mail. He does appreciate that he’s lucky and “not an everyday person.”

“But at the same time, the amount of money I make isn’t going to last the rest of my life,” Barch insisted. “That’s all I was saying.

“The owners, their lifestyle isn’t going to change [because of a lockout]. It was more comparing owners and players, not myself and what my dad does.”

Barch also isn’t backing away from his comments overall, saying they “came from my heart.”

1. martysbetter - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:28 AM

If/When the season starts I hope he gets cut, Lou Lamoriello usually isn’t too keen on players using twitter, and speaking about matters other than winning hockey games.

• killerpgh - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Maybe Lou should cut him, but I dont see why. He is a locked out player speaking his mind. Lou himself is a major reason in why there is no NHL right now. Only 2 years into signing Kovy to one of (in not the) biggest contracts in NHL history the Devils were/are having serious cash problem. If your team can’t afford the best availible player they shouldn’t sign them. The Owner may have pushed for the Kovy deal, but as the GM Lou offered it and turned it into the League for approval….Twice.

• mpg44 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Last time I checked Lou is the gm , not the owner .its the owners who locked out the players and its the players that are part of the CBA expiring . The gm’s are kind of along for the ride . Every devils fans knows the kovy contract did not come from him but from the owner .

2. necromerlin - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:48 AM

I don’t have a horse in this race but I cannot believe that anyone can support the players with this kind of attitude. Please Mr. Barch, explain to this working stiff who makes 35k a year, why you can’t make 1.5 million last your whole life?

• freneticgarfieldfan - Oct 2, 2012 at 10:59 AM

actually it’s 3,75 million from 2006 – 2012 alone, plus 1,5 m for the next two seasons (should they happen)

• mpg44 - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Totally agree with this , explain to me why I go to work everyday for nine hours a day to get a mere fraction of your paycheck. Then on top of it all ….. I have to pay a league to actually play hockey. !!

• tatdue - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

How about because you suck as a hockey player…lol…No offence, but you asked for the explanation, right…?

• sportsfreak13 - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:18 PM

When you go to work who do you think has the greater chance for serious injury, you or NHL player? When you leave work you most likely get to go straight home to a family, NHL player less likely. Can you get moved at the drop of a hat and forced to live somewhere new on a daily basis. Lastly did you dream of doing your job since you were a little kid only to have the powers that be say no you can’t do his anymore. A NHL players taxes are probably around 35% and the owners want 20% so that leaves them taking home 45% of their pay. Would you want that?

• mpg44 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:05 PM

To answer the first question … How about a cop , or a fireman, or a solder in any of the armed forces . If by what you say had ANY logic these people should be getting double what an NHL er makes !!

• sportsfreak13 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Its sad but we live in a society that pays more for entertainment then it does for safety but that doesn’t mean hockey players deserve blame. All people in the professions you listed go into those jobs because thy want to make a difference. Hockey players play because they love the game. Remember the owners are locking them out not vice versa. If you think that all athletes are overpaid compared to others then don’t watch/support sports at all and avoid lining their pockets.

3. sippindasyzurp - Oct 2, 2012 at 11:29 AM

First sign here that the NHLPA is starting to show a few cracks… Out of the 700 or so players in the league, there has to be at least 200 or 300, maybe more? probably feel the same way Barch does…

There are lots of guys that can’t go to Europe cause there just not good enough to take a roster spot over there and they can’t go to the AHL cause they have one way contracts… So they have to go play somewhere like the ECHL, or other semi-pro leagues where your riding the bus and getting peanuts.

It will be interesting to see how this holds up once game checks for players like Barch start being missed… If there is no season, there is a good chance he doesn’t see another minute of ice time in the NHL.

4. t16rich - Oct 2, 2012 at 12:33 PM

You think the lockout is going to hurt you Krys? Then please tell us what you think of your fellow union members who have taken roster spots and pay checks from aspiring hockey players on European rosters.

• sportsfreak13 - Oct 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM

How are they any different then a engineer or electrician that goes overseas for a job. He would be taking away that potential job opportunity from a resident. There is nothing wrong with putting out the best product whether that be a law firm a manufacture plant or a grocery store, you should hire the best possible employees to put out the best product. Nothing in life is fair which is why you have to work for everything you get.

• t16rich - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Well said and I don’t disagree with that assessment. Nothing in life is fair, and that applies to Krys as well. If he is a victim of the lockout in the end, oh well. At least Krys has made 6 to 7 figures compared to other lockout victims who are much further down the ladder and in completely different leagues. My entire point was, I’ll give sympathy to those low paid European players before I will give it to this guy.

• tatdue - Oct 2, 2012 at 3:17 PM

What does that have to do with anything..there are plenty of guys from other countries that have roster spots in every level of hockey right up to the NHL, taking potential spots from North American players too….so what? None of this sh!t has anything to do with the lock out! We all miss hockey but remember the one thing that does matter….We would be enjoying the NHL if the OWNERS didn’t CHOOSE to do this!!!

• t16rich - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:11 PM

I am not hating on players for joining European teams. That comment was supposed to come off with a rhetoric undertone stating Krys doesn’t have much to complain about. Comparing this to Europe probably wasn’t my best choice, but the whole point was that Krys is coming off sounding like a well set rich baby. As much as the owners are sleeze bags, I don’t care if they continue to lead a lavish lifestyle during the lockout and that Krys can’t. He doesn’t have to be happy with the personal lockout situation he is in but he shouldn’t be taking to the internet to imply how his million dollars aren’t enough to live off. After all, his job isn’t completely lost like some players, it’s just locked out. You guys have fired back with some better comments than mine though. Touche.

• sportsfreak13 - Oct 2, 2012 at 4:49 PM

haha don’t feel bad t16rich. This lockout has everyone a bit touchy, and its only day 17!

5. sportsfreak13 - Oct 2, 2012 at 2:21 PM

I can defiantly understand that.

6. lostone49 - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:16 PM

In my 23 years of working, I have made approximately $700-750,000. If my pay stays the same as it is now for the next 20 years, I should make about 1 million more in my working life. My cars are paid off, I have 15 years left on my mortgage, and I put $200 a month into savings. We don’t skimp, but we also don’t splurge either. Don’t cry to me Krys if you have to work “50 years after retiring”, simply because you couldn’t make 6 or 7 million last for your 10 year carrer. Btw…I’m not complaining at all, just stating some facts.

• lostone49 - Oct 2, 2012 at 8:17 PM

*career

7. broadstreetbeatdown - Oct 3, 2012 at 1:09 AM

Cry me a river Barch. Quit your whining about how underpaid and oppressed you are and get back to work you little pre-madonna. I wish I could make your money working 6 to 7 months a year.

Top 10 NHL Player Searches