Oct 2, 2012, 11:55 AM EDT
The KHL scored another huge lockout signing on Tuesday — literally, huge.
According to agent Matt Keator, Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara is set to join HC Lev Praha, one of the KHL’s clubs based in the Czech Republic (Prague, to be specific.)
“He has friends there, and it’s within hours of his home in Slovakia,” Keator told USA Today. “[Prague] is a great hockey city.”
Chara’s signing overseas is significant given he represents an older, more veteran group — one that, up to this point, has been hesitant uprooting itself.
The 35-year-old has over 1000 games to his credit and has been a virtual ironman since the lockout, appearing in 477 of 492 regular season games.
As for Chara’s new team, Praha is in the midst of its first KHL season and armed with a number of ex-NHLers: Erik Christensen, Marcel Hossa, Michal Repik and Martin Skoula, to name a few.
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 18
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 46
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 1
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control