Oct 2, 2012, 11:55 AM EST
The KHL scored another huge lockout signing on Tuesday — literally, huge.
According to agent Matt Keator, Boston Bruins captain Zdeno Chara is set to join HC Lev Praha, one of the KHL’s clubs based in the Czech Republic (Prague, to be specific.)
“He has friends there, and it’s within hours of his home in Slovakia,” Keator told USA Today. “[Prague] is a great hockey city.”
Chara’s signing overseas is significant given he represents an older, more veteran group — one that, up to this point, has been hesitant uprooting itself.
The 35-year-old has over 1000 games to his credit and has been a virtual ironman since the lockout, appearing in 477 of 492 regular season games.
As for Chara’s new team, Praha is in the midst of its first KHL season and armed with a number of ex-NHLers: Erik Christensen, Marcel Hossa, Michal Repik and Martin Skoula, to name a few.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)