Oct 2, 2012, 3:40 PM EST
Even after today’s discouraging CBA talks between the NHL and NHLPA, Donald Fehr is hopeful negotiations can continue later this week (via Dan Rosen of NHL.com).
The union’s executive director also said he plans to speak with league commissioner Gary Bettman today or tomorrow.
So at the very least the two sides haven’t run to their rooms and slammed the doors shut.
Unfortunately, no amount of face-to-face time can guarantee progress. The NHL has said over and over that the players need to compromise – at this point, it’s practically begging the PA to present another proposal.
Meanwhile, the union has said there’s nothing keeping the league from presenting its own new proposal.
Anyway, here’s video of Fehr’s press conference, starting with the possibility of using mediation to help bring the sides together:
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46