Oct 2, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT
Even after today’s discouraging CBA talks between the NHL and NHLPA, Donald Fehr is hopeful negotiations can continue later this week (via Dan Rosen of NHL.com).
The union’s executive director also said he plans to speak with league commissioner Gary Bettman today or tomorrow.
So at the very least the two sides haven’t run to their rooms and slammed the doors shut.
Unfortunately, no amount of face-to-face time can guarantee progress. The NHL has said over and over that the players need to compromise – at this point, it’s practically begging the PA to present another proposal.
Meanwhile, the union has said there’s nothing keeping the league from presenting its own new proposal.
Anyway, here’s video of Fehr’s press conference, starting with the possibility of using mediation to help bring the sides together:
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 6
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 6
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 26
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 43
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 20