Oct 2, 2012, 3:40 PM EST
Even after today’s discouraging CBA talks between the NHL and NHLPA, Donald Fehr is hopeful negotiations can continue later this week (via Dan Rosen of NHL.com).
The union’s executive director also said he plans to speak with league commissioner Gary Bettman today or tomorrow.
So at the very least the two sides haven’t run to their rooms and slammed the doors shut.
Unfortunately, no amount of face-to-face time can guarantee progress. The NHL has said over and over that the players need to compromise – at this point, it’s practically begging the PA to present another proposal.
Meanwhile, the union has said there’s nothing keeping the league from presenting its own new proposal.
Anyway, here’s video of Fehr’s press conference, starting with the possibility of using mediation to help bring the sides together:
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 30
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 52
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 61
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (62)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)