Oct 2, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
This lockout has cost people. Ask a pair of US Senators representing New Jersey and they’d say it’s hurting “workers, businesses, and families.” Now we also know how much a canceled preseason has cost the NHL: $100 million.
“That is not going to be recouped and that’s going to cost both sides,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said, according to the Winnipeg Press. “That’s unfortunate but it’s a reality of where we are.”
With the regular season scheduled to begin Oct. 11, the NHL’s lost revenue will only continue to increase if this lockout doesn’t end.
Unnecessary lost revenue, the union might add.
“This is really important. This is a lockout they decided to have. This was a lockout of choice. There was no reason for it. Negotiations could still be ongoing,” NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said in an ESPN report. “And so, if there’s a problem here, maybe someone ought to look in the mirror over there.”
That echoes Fehr’s pre-lockout assertions that the players would be willing to begin the 2012-13 season without a new CBA and simultaneously continue negotiations.
Meanwhile the union and league met briefly on Tuesday and “no progress” was made.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 10
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 95
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (95)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)