Oct 2, 2012, 5:22 PM EDT
This lockout has cost people. Ask a pair of US Senators representing New Jersey and they’d say it’s hurting “workers, businesses, and families.” Now we also know how much a canceled preseason has cost the NHL: $100 million.
“That is not going to be recouped and that’s going to cost both sides,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said, according to the Winnipeg Press. “That’s unfortunate but it’s a reality of where we are.”
With the regular season scheduled to begin Oct. 11, the NHL’s lost revenue will only continue to increase if this lockout doesn’t end.
Unnecessary lost revenue, the union might add.
“This is really important. This is a lockout they decided to have. This was a lockout of choice. There was no reason for it. Negotiations could still be ongoing,” NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said in an ESPN report. “And so, if there’s a problem here, maybe someone ought to look in the mirror over there.”
That echoes Fehr’s pre-lockout assertions that the players would be willing to begin the 2012-13 season without a new CBA and simultaneously continue negotiations.
Meanwhile the union and league met briefly on Tuesday and “no progress” was made.
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 11
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 20
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 56
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 80
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 6
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 52
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 35
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional