Oct 2, 2012, 5:22 PM EST
This lockout has cost people. Ask a pair of US Senators representing New Jersey and they’d say it’s hurting “workers, businesses, and families.” Now we also know how much a canceled preseason has cost the NHL: $100 million.
“That is not going to be recouped and that’s going to cost both sides,” NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said, according to the Winnipeg Press. “That’s unfortunate but it’s a reality of where we are.”
With the regular season scheduled to begin Oct. 11, the NHL’s lost revenue will only continue to increase if this lockout doesn’t end.
Unnecessary lost revenue, the union might add.
“This is really important. This is a lockout they decided to have. This was a lockout of choice. There was no reason for it. Negotiations could still be ongoing,” NHLPA executive director Donald Fehr said in an ESPN report. “And so, if there’s a problem here, maybe someone ought to look in the mirror over there.”
That echoes Fehr’s pre-lockout assertions that the players would be willing to begin the 2012-13 season without a new CBA and simultaneously continue negotiations.
Meanwhile the union and league met briefly on Tuesday and “no progress” was made.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)