Oct 2, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
The Deutsche Eishockey Liga — Germany’s top professional circuit — added another big name on Tuesday as the Hamburg Freezers announced the signing of Dallas Stars sniper Jamie Benn.
Benn, 22, enjoyed a breakout campaign with the Stars last season, finishing second on the team in scoring (despite missing 11 contests) and making his first ever NHL All-Star game.
Just one catch — technically, he’s not under contract with Dallas anymore.
In what will probably result in some fingernail chewing in the Stars front office, Benn is going to play for Hamburg despite not reaching an agreement after his three-year, $1.975 million entry level deal expired this past summer.
One of the most noteworthy RFAs on the open market, Benn was unable to secure an extension from the Stars before the Sept. 15 CBA expiration.
(He’s probably insured just fine, though.)
If nothing else, both Benn and the Stars can be comforted by the number of familiar faces currently playing for the Freezers. Ex-NHLers currently plying their trade with the club include Serge Aubin, Mathieu Roy, Duvie Westcott, Christoph Schubert, Brandon Reid and Matt Pettinger.
All that’s left now is for Benn to take his hilarious Hamburg player profile pic, and change his name to Jamie Freezer Benn:
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)