Oct 2, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
The Deutsche Eishockey Liga — Germany’s top professional circuit — added another big name on Tuesday as the Hamburg Freezers announced the signing of Dallas Stars sniper Jamie Benn.
Benn, 22, enjoyed a breakout campaign with the Stars last season, finishing second on the team in scoring (despite missing 11 contests) and making his first ever NHL All-Star game.
Just one catch — technically, he’s not under contract with Dallas anymore.
In what will probably result in some fingernail chewing in the Stars front office, Benn is going to play for Hamburg despite not reaching an agreement after his three-year, $1.975 million entry level deal expired this past summer.
One of the most noteworthy RFAs on the open market, Benn was unable to secure an extension from the Stars before the Sept. 15 CBA expiration.
(He’s probably insured just fine, though.)
If nothing else, both Benn and the Stars can be comforted by the number of familiar faces currently playing for the Freezers. Ex-NHLers currently plying their trade with the club include Serge Aubin, Mathieu Roy, Duvie Westcott, Christoph Schubert, Brandon Reid and Matt Pettinger.
All that’s left now is for Benn to take his hilarious Hamburg player profile pic, and change his name to Jamie Freezer Benn:
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)