Oct 2, 2012, 10:37 AM EST
The Deutsche Eishockey Liga — Germany’s top professional circuit — added another big name on Tuesday as the Hamburg Freezers announced the signing of Dallas Stars sniper Jamie Benn.
Benn, 22, enjoyed a breakout campaign with the Stars last season, finishing second on the team in scoring (despite missing 11 contests) and making his first ever NHL All-Star game.
Just one catch — technically, he’s not under contract with Dallas anymore.
In what will probably result in some fingernail chewing in the Stars front office, Benn is going to play for Hamburg despite not reaching an agreement after his three-year, $1.975 million entry level deal expired this past summer.
One of the most noteworthy RFAs on the open market, Benn was unable to secure an extension from the Stars before the Sept. 15 CBA expiration.
(He’s probably insured just fine, though.)
If nothing else, both Benn and the Stars can be comforted by the number of familiar faces currently playing for the Freezers. Ex-NHLers currently plying their trade with the club include Serge Aubin, Mathieu Roy, Duvie Westcott, Christoph Schubert, Brandon Reid and Matt Pettinger.
All that’s left now is for Benn to take his hilarious Hamburg player profile pic, and change his name to Jamie Freezer Benn:
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 5
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 6
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 72
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (72)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)