Oct 2, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
The Deutsche Eishockey Liga — Germany’s top professional circuit — added another big name on Tuesday as the Hamburg Freezers announced the signing of Dallas Stars sniper Jamie Benn.
Benn, 22, enjoyed a breakout campaign with the Stars last season, finishing second on the team in scoring (despite missing 11 contests) and making his first ever NHL All-Star game.
Just one catch — technically, he’s not under contract with Dallas anymore.
In what will probably result in some fingernail chewing in the Stars front office, Benn is going to play for Hamburg despite not reaching an agreement after his three-year, $1.975 million entry level deal expired this past summer.
One of the most noteworthy RFAs on the open market, Benn was unable to secure an extension from the Stars before the Sept. 15 CBA expiration.
(He’s probably insured just fine, though.)
If nothing else, both Benn and the Stars can be comforted by the number of familiar faces currently playing for the Freezers. Ex-NHLers currently plying their trade with the club include Serge Aubin, Mathieu Roy, Duvie Westcott, Christoph Schubert, Brandon Reid and Matt Pettinger.
All that’s left now is for Benn to take his hilarious Hamburg player profile pic, and change his name to Jamie Freezer Benn:
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 13
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)