Oct 2, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
The Deutsche Eishockey Liga — Germany’s top professional circuit — added another big name on Tuesday as the Hamburg Freezers announced the signing of Dallas Stars sniper Jamie Benn.
Benn, 22, enjoyed a breakout campaign with the Stars last season, finishing second on the team in scoring (despite missing 11 contests) and making his first ever NHL All-Star game.
Just one catch — technically, he’s not under contract with Dallas anymore.
In what will probably result in some fingernail chewing in the Stars front office, Benn is going to play for Hamburg despite not reaching an agreement after his three-year, $1.975 million entry level deal expired this past summer.
One of the most noteworthy RFAs on the open market, Benn was unable to secure an extension from the Stars before the Sept. 15 CBA expiration.
(He’s probably insured just fine, though.)
If nothing else, both Benn and the Stars can be comforted by the number of familiar faces currently playing for the Freezers. Ex-NHLers currently plying their trade with the club include Serge Aubin, Mathieu Roy, Duvie Westcott, Christoph Schubert, Brandon Reid and Matt Pettinger.
All that’s left now is for Benn to take his hilarious Hamburg player profile pic, and change his name to Jamie Freezer Benn:
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 2
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 25
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)